[NetBehaviour] Opportunity for artists used to working with text

Edward Picot edward at edwardpicot.com
Thu Jan 24 20:06:47 CET 2013

The advert below, from the Arts Jobs list, might be of interest:

  Opportunities for artists who work with text, Jaybird Live Literature

*London* Closes Monday 18 February 2013 Paid (£25k-30k pro rata) Part
time *Artform:* crafts <http://www.artsjobs.org.uk/index.php?id=146>,
combined arts <http://www.artsjobs.org.uk/index.php?id=127>, dance
<http://www.artsjobs.org.uk/index.php?id=126>, film
<http://www.artsjobs.org.uk/index.php?id=148>, interdisciplinary arts
<http://www.artsjobs.org.uk/index.php?id=125>, literature
<http://www.artsjobs.org.uk/index.php?id=124>, photography
<http://www.artsjobs.org.uk/index.php?id=147>, music
<http://www.artsjobs.org.uk/index.php?id=123>, theatre
<http://www.artsjobs.org.uk/index.php?id=122>, visual arts
<http://www.artsjobs.org.uk/index.php?id=121> *Contact:* Julia Bird
julia at jaybird.org.uk
<mailto:julia at jaybird.org.uk?subject=Re%20Opportunities%20for%20artists%20who%20work%20with%20text>

    Description

Jaybird Live Literature (www'jaybird.org.uk) and Southbank Centre
(www.southbankcentre.co.uk) are planning a large scale poetry
commissioning project for Summer and Autumn 2013.

We are going to find one poet connected to each of London's 33 boroughs*
and ask them to create a new poem inspired or provoked by that borough.

We will then introduce each poet to an artist who will interpret the new
poem and send it out into the world: launching it from a relevant
borough location, from a space in Southbank Centre as part of the 2013
Neighbourhood Festival, and from the web.

*We need artists *who can work imaginatively with text, whether
visually, theatrically or digitally. They must be UK based, but they do
not need to be London based. Artists can be individuals, partners or
collectives, they can be well established or just starting out - but
they must be able respond to a specific commission creatively and
professionally and create an interpretation of an existing poem which is
sympathetic to the qualities of that poem, and which is conceptually and
/ or physically robust. We are unlikely to select artists with no track
record of delivering similar work.

We are looking for performances, happenings, large and small-scale
installations, takeaways ... whatever delights us. Please bear in mind
that while some interpretations will have a budget of £1000s, most will
have budget of £100s. We need your ideas and skills to carry our newly
commissioned poems into the hearts of Londoners throughout 2013.

Please send us your recommendations -- you can recommend yourselves or
your favourite individual artists or collectives.

This new project will be managed by Julia Bird of Jaybird Live
Literature; and Bea Colley, Participation Producer at Southbank Centre
and one of the organisers of Poetry Parnassus in 2012.

*The deadline for recommendations is 18th February. For details of how
to recommend, visit www.jaybird.org.uk <http://www.jaybird.org.uk/>*

Please note that this is a funding dependent project, and no commissions
will be made until funding is confirmed.

* 32 boroughs, plus the City of London