[NetBehaviour] Georgio Morandi: Lines of Poetry.

Michael Szpakowski szpako at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 17:47:16 CET 2013

I love Morandi's work and I shall definitely go to see the show at the Estorick.
Morandi is an enigma - that someone who was an active member of the Italian Fascist party
could produce work that is so utterly... - if life affirming wasn't a cliche I'd say life affirming -

utterly enchanting, humane, enriching...
I can't help thinking, though, Heidegger is a putative friend, interpreter or advocate Morandi doesn't need.

Where Morandi is great despite his politicsHeidegger is completely and forever tainted  by

his active andnever publicly repented membership of the Nazi party.
It strikes me there's a kind of grace here which is available to artists and not to philosophers. Ultimately

all philosophy is a call to action or at least a framework for it. Art, on the contrary, enables even the
personally wicked or the politically vile the redemptive act of looking carefully and making something to
show us, be it painting , poem, music or whatever which makes us more deeply human.
michael