[NetBehaviour] Georgio Morandi: Lines of Poetry.

Michael Szpakowski szpako at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 26 16:40:58 CET 2013

Good point.
I've never seen Triumph of the Will.
I think I'd reply,as best I can, that
I wrote of a "grace ... which is available to artists". I didn't suggest this was in any way automatic.
I suspect Triumph of the Will and other Reifenstahl is less art than superbly crafted propaganda -
I think I'd probably want to put it on a level with a well made advertisment, something from which one might
learn but which exists for instumental reasons, those reasons here being particularly vile ones.

I'm not too thrilled by the prospect but I will try and see the film at some point so I can speak from a
more informed position. ( A similar case is "Birth of a Nation", of course).

I'm old fashioned enough to think that the word 'truth' is one useful litmus concept for artworks. I don't mean that we
mine from a work some sort of verbal paraphrase and then subject this to some kind of logical analysis, more that we
demand that a work corresponds in all its aspects to our sense of the richness of the world including how the world is (
scientific, historical, physical - forgive me post-modernists - fact being part, but not all, of this.)

This is all pretty provisional - thanks for making me think.
cheers
michael