[NetBehaviour] Gilgamesh (Edward Picot)

netbehaviour netbehaviour at furtherfield.org
Tue Jan 29 14:55:05 CET 2013

CALL FOR PAPERS
TaPRA Performance and New Technologies inter-conference event 2013
Becoming Nomad: Hybrid Spaces, Liquid Architectures and Online Domains

A research event organised by TaPRA Performance and New Technologies
Working Group in cooperation with York St John University.

Date: 10th April 2013*
Venue: York St. John University, York UK

Confirmed Keynote Speaker: Professor Maaike Bleeker
Invited Practitioners: Mark Jeffery and Judd Morrissey

Conceptions of space and time are necessary coordinates of a
reinterrogation of the limits of corporeality [...] because any
understanding of bodies requires a spatial [...] framework. (Elizabeth
Grosz 2001:32)

Rosi Braidotti has established the concept of 'nomadism' as an
analytical tool. Increasingly, in theatre and performance as in other
areas of life, we embody those nomadic, post-identitarian subjects
(Braidotti 2010) in order to address the complexities of our times. This
interim symposium aims to explore the 'becoming-nomad' (Braidotti 2011:
66) of subjects, bodies, and ideas that occurs within contemporary
globalised, mediatised, augmented and distributed environments. This
symposium further seeks to map out the multiple transformations that
result from those phenomena in theatre and performance practice and
identify fruitful elements of 'surprise’(Grosz 2001: 11)stemming from
the intersections between the virtual and the actual in potentially
different spatial contexts. Putting emphasis on instances of wandering
in, encountering the 'other' within and encountering something other
than the actual, we aim to re-negotiate the concept of becoming,
belonging and being-in-mixed-media worlds.

By setting up dialogues between bodies and spaces, this interim event
seeks to explore the new practices, philosophies and intensities evoked
by the continuously shifting coordinates of contemporary corporealities,
and to renegotiate notions and experiences of spatial embodiment in
contemporary theatre and performance contexts. Those practices, we
argue, raise questions about issues of responsibility, ethical
considerations, and new approaches to the aesthetic and neuroaesthetic,
political and phenomenological aspects of such spatial transfigurations.

We invite contributions, in the form of a paper, short performance,
practical presentation, or provocation that reflect on the pivotal role
of digital media in the reconfigurations of creative interactions and
address some of the issues identified below:

· Nomadic Subjects
· Spaces of movement
· Fluid/liquid architecture(s)
· New coordinates of time and space
· Spaced-out performers/audiences
· Mapping bodied-spaces
· Gaps and trajectories between the 'here' and 'there' of digital intimacies
· Wearable Spaces
· Telematic/Displaced/Territorial narratives
· Performance/Theatre and Cultural Cartographies
· Political space of shifting coordinates/Shifting coordinates of
political space
· Responsibility in becoming other/being elsewhere

Symposium Fee (Performance fee included)

Students/non-affiliated delegates:
£20 (TaPRA members)
£30 (non-TaPRA members)
Affiliated delegates:
£30 (TaPRA members)
£40 (non-TaPRA members)

Workshop: Flat rate of £10 (A limited number of places are available.
Please declare your interest in your proposals)

A couple of postgraduate travel bursaries will be available. Please
include a statement of interest if you would like to be considered for
one of these bursaries.

Expressions of interest, abstracts and proposals should be no longer
than 250 words and should be emailed to Eirini Nedelkopoulou
e.nedelkopoulou at yorksj.ac.uk <mailto:e.nedelkopoulou at yorksj.ac.uk> and
Maria Chatzichristodoulou m.chatzi at hull.ac.uk
<mailto:m.chatzi at hull.ac.uk> by Monday 4 February 2013.

For more information on the Performance and Workshop please visit:
http://www.yorksj.ac.uk/arts/faculty-of-arts/researchcom/becoming-nomad-hybrid-spaces.aspx

--
Dr Maria Chatzichristodoulou [aka Maria X]
Lecturer in Theatre and Performance