[NetBehaviour] Links

James Morris james at jwm-art.net
Thu Jan 31 00:29:47 CET 2013

pls forgive me...

On 29/01/13 Rob Myers <rob at robmyers.org> wrote:
>"THE TWILIGHT LANGUAGE OF NIGEL KNEALE" -
>
>http://strangeattractor.co.uk/shoppe/the-twilight-language-of-nigel-kneale/

Haven't visited this one, for fear of wolves and vampires.

>"Brazil to give $25 monthly culture stipend to workers" -
>
>http://artthreat.net/2013/01/brazil-culture-stipend/

Read that somewhere else... BBrace I think.

>"Asteroid-Mining Project Aims for Deep-Space Colonies" -
>
>http://www.space.com/19368-asteroid-mining-deep-space-industries.html
>

>"Asteroid Resources Could Make Science Fiction Dreams -- and
>Nightmares -- a Reality" -
>
>http://news.yahoo.com/asteroid-resources-could-science-fiction-dreams-nightmares-reality-184500496.html

Will skim that one.

>Ender's Game is pornography -
>
>http://plover.net/%7Ebonds/ender.html

Excellent. Though I wasn't certain at times if I was for or against
what was being said, or if I should go out and read the book or not.
Probably won't bother. I would have personally chosen a different
opinion to post as a link but then, I guess this one is as good as any
but I personally found "your baloney kit sucks" more interesting and
"why i am no longer a skeptic" even better - brilliant in fact. Though
his review of donnie darko rather jarred with my opinion of the film
though keanu reeves acting ability doesn't bother me either. But then
I'm not intellectual and both of those films are comforting to me like
psychic readings are to... people who find them comforting despite
knowing what a scam they are. but really my reaction to his reviews of
these films I should ignore because the "why i am no longer a skeptic"
piece really... made my day at work fifty thousand times more
interesting (for a good three hours I spent fifteen~twenty seconds of
every minute reading from his website on my mobile).

>Inventing Abstraction -
>
>http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/2012/inventingabstraction/?page=connections

sounds vaguely interesting but i'll probably have more pressing things
to do.

>"Big data and the death of the theorist" -
>
>http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-01/25/big-data-end-of-theory

not read it, not planning on reading it, no sympathy for theorists.

>The curious aesthetics of unboxing videos -
>
>http://new-aesthetic.tumblr.com/post/41638036610/i-couldnt-really-begin-to-say-why-but-in-the

really, what the hell is that about? you need to tell me more before
i'll visit that link.

>"3D printing – from a tea pot to a vibrator" -
>
>http://happyfamousartists.com/blog/2013/01/3d-printing-from-a-tea-pot-to-a-vibrator/

uhuh. not grabbing me.

>"Free Emulators of Guitar Amps Gain Momentum" -
>
>http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/free-emulators-of-guitar-amps-gain-momentum

yep, did read that,

>Using social media to predict public votes -
>
>http://www.itnews.com.au/News/330228,warmest-100-even-hotter-than-forecast.aspx

sounds enthralling.

>"MacPaint and QuickDraw Source Code" -
>
>http://www.computerhistory.org/atchm/macpaint-and-quickdraw-source-code/

ditto

>"The Sketchbook of Susan Kare, the Artist Who Gave Computing a Human
>Face" -
>
>http://blogs.plos.org/neurotribes/2011/11/22/the-sketchbook-of-susan-kare-the-artist-who-gave-computing-a-human-face/

sounds like i should be interested but i'm not or at least, i don't
have any plans to read that one. hopefully not because it's by a woman
and i'm a white male, but at least i'm not rich (not by average white
male standards anyway).

>"Olympic architects, engineers and builders have advertising ban
>lifted" -
>
>http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-01/28/construction-olympics-boast

all i need to know in the title.

>"US free to grab EU data on American clouds" -
>
>http://euobserver.com/justice/118857

bummer.

>"Berlin activists create CCTV-smashing street game" -
>
>http://boingboing.net/2013/01/26/berlin-activists-create-cctv-s.html

read that one somewhere too... marc on facebook i think.

>"Is Being Spiritual But Not Religious Dangerous To Your Mental
>Health?" -
>
>http://technoccult.net/archives/2013/01/26/is-being-spiritual-but-not-religious-dangerous-to-your-mental-health/

i either partially read that, or read it all and it was one
of those disappointing stories which turns out to be written in
shallow end... or paddling pool.