[NetBehaviour] burning question of the day

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Tue Jul 2 12:10:08 CEST 2013

Hi Helen,

I think your question touches on important things here...

After getting a place in Chelsea College, in 86 I was then suddenly
thrown out because they fucked up my grant application. Ironically, even
though I was in despair at the time. This created a new situation where
I ended up moving to bristol in 87, setting up pirate radio stations,
and taught myself computer technology & did projects with Heath Bunting,
and thus the early spirit of Furtherfield began to emerge. Although, it
was in mid-90s that Furtherfield really got into gear after realizing
that just being a pain in the neck to the system was not going to change
things at deeper levels. Emancipation was not just about one's self
getting on in the world, but working things out with others.

I have always advocated self-learning, and I am an obsessive autodidact.
Finding imaginative ways to stay afloat is a valuable skill. Whether you
are part of an arts organization or an artist who is not affiliated to
an institution, you need varied abilities in order to survive. This is
because the institutional networks and their frameworks with their
default settings do not support those existing outside of them. Which is
obvious, but not always explored in much detail.

The extra slice of irony here is that, in the future (this is happening
now) institutions will only be able to justify education through
economical processes. Which kind of leaves many of the more adventurous
thinkers and artists in these environments having to expand their
connections and thus their ideas with others outside of their
traditional frameworks, unless they decide to give in to the greater
hegemony, and many will and do. Of course, such actions are difficult
because those who are doing great things in their institutions are
dealing with extremely tough regimes which stunt developments for many
different reasons, some of these are because the institutions have
histories reliant on classical traditions, even though these traditions
may also be challenged by Neoliberal demands from top-down, market
dominated ideologies.

Which brings me back to contemporary academics and artists, working in
these environments, where the hierarchies they exist in are dictating
values and behaviors where assumed canons take precedence over what's
really going on in contemporary art culture. Unless, those in positions
of academia, curators, and artists begin to expand their remits,
studies, and art processes, beyond referencing only what is in front of
their nose -- so that others can see the real alternatives which are
existing now (and before). Then, you can say goodbye to groups like
ourselves, and similar thinking individuals, who believe - what you are
told is not necessarily a true measurement of our reality.

Wishing you well.

marc

>>> http://www.wehaveasituation.net
>>> http://www.upstage.org.nz

> helen varley jamieson
> helen at creative-catalyst.com <mailto:helen at creative-catalyst.com>
> http://www.creative-catalyst.com
> http://www.wehaveasituation.net
> http://www.upstage.org.nz

--->

A living - breathing - thriving networked neighbourhood -
proud of free culture - claiming it with others ;)

Other reviews,articles,interviews
http://www.furtherfield.org/reviews.php

Furtherfield -- online arts community, platforms for creating, viewing,
discussing and learning about experimental practices at the
intersections of art, technology and social change.
http://www.furtherfield.org

Furtherfield Gallery -- Finsbury Park (London).
http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery

Netbehaviour - Networked Artists List Community.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield