[NetBehaviour] What is Art History Made of?

netbehaviour netbehaviour at furtherfield.org
Wed Jul 10 11:11:23 CEST 2013

What is Art History Made of?

By Charlotte frost.

http://digitalcritic.org/2013/07/what-is-art-history-made-of/

Over the last few years I have been staging a practical and theoretical
investigation of art historical media. I’ve been asking what are art
history and criticism are made of? Of course, the simple answer is:
words. When we interpret, contextualise and historicise artistic
practice we, in the main, take something visual and turn that experience
into one carried by words. But sometimes these words are spoken, some
are printed in books and magazines and now, with the rise of digital
technology and the internet, some of these words are digital. My concern
is that not only do we, as art critics and historians overlook our own
media in a bid to analyse and understand that of artists, but in doing
so, we are ignoring what happens to art knowledge when it is rendered in
different forms. So I decided I would have to render my own
investigation in different forms.