[NetBehaviour] Interactive Art and Embodiment: The Implicit Body as Performance (Arts Future Book)

netbehaviour netbehaviour at furtherfield.org
Wed Jul 17 18:18:42 CEST 2013

Interactive Art and Embodiment: The Implicit Body as Performance (Arts
Future Book)

New book by Nathaniel Stern.

http://alturl.com/vwgpu

What is interactive art? Is this a genre? A medium? An art movement?
Must a work be physically active to be classified as such, or do we
interact when we sense and make sense? Is a switch-throw or link-click
enough - I do this, and that happens - or must subjects and objects be
confused over time? Is interaction multiple in its engagements
(relational), or a one-to-one reaction (programmed)? Are interactive
designs somehow more democratic and individualized than others, or is
that merely a commercial strategy to sell products and ideas?

This book argues that interactive art frames moving-thinking-feeling as
embodiment; the body is addressed as it is formed, and in relation.
Interactive installations amplify how the body's inscriptions, meanings,
and matters unfold out, while the world's sensations, concepts, and
matters enfold in. Interactive artwork creates situations that enhance,
disrupt, and alter experience and action in ways that call attention to
our varied relationships with and as both structure and matter.