[NetBehaviour] Reminder // Call for Projects : 'Home/s', ArtUP! exhibition in Athens.

netbehaviour netbehaviour at furtherfield.org
Sun Jul 21 23:48:29 CEST 2013

Reminder // Call for Projects : 'Home/s', ArtUP! exhibition in Athens.

ArtUP! Media art in Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey

OPEN CALL for projects
'Home/s', media art exhibition

Deadline for submissions: Friday, July 26, 2013

After the exhibition 'Neighborhood X.0' (2012) in Ankara and a series of
exhibitions under the title 'PARABOLE' (running until 25/07/2013) in
several cities in Bulgaria, ArtUP! is preparing the next exhibition
'Home/s' in collaboration with the Benaki Museum in Athens.

ArtUP! invites artists from Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey to submit their
work for the exhibition 'Home/s' that will take place in Athens and will
be curated by Daphne Dragona and Katerina Gkoutziouli.

'Home/s' will aim to explore the notion of 'home' in times of constant
connectivity and to discuss its emerging relocations and
transformations. Influenced by Vilém Flusser's writings, the
exhibition's starting point will be home's fundamental contradiction.
Offering us the essential sense of belonging, home provides us with a
context through which we recognize the world but at the same time it
prevents us from really seeing it. Made 'not of conscious rules' but
rather of 'unconscious habits' which cover us as 'a fluffy blanket', it
provides a comforting ground which safe as it may be, unavoidably it
allows little room for shifts and changes. But where is home today?
Which habits tie us to it? How we perceive our habits through
technology? And how can we overcome their constraints?

The new ARTUP! exhibition wishes to offer possible answers to these
questions and to comment on the different ways of 'feeling at home' in
the networked era. It will particularly examine how a new sense of
belonging has been shaped with the proliferation of networked
technologies, which is enabled by our mediated presence and empowered by
affect. Are these innumerous connections built among citizens from
different countries in periods of insurrection and unrest the new home
for the many? Are the possibilities given for borderless communication
the answer for the ones that need to be on the move? Are we really home
within the networks? And how can technology capture, affect or change
our feeling of belonging?

A redefinition of the notion of home will be attempted through the
presentation of different art projects and creative practices from the
three participating countries.

The exhibition 'Home/s' will take place from October 11 to November 17,
2013 at the Benaki Museum (Pireos Annex) in Athens. 'Home/s' will be
also presented online on the ArtUP! website.

Detailed information about the submission process and the exhibition is
available at the following link:

http://www.goethe.de/ins/tr/lp/prj/art/opc/enindex.htm