[NetBehaviour] Being Boring

netbehaviour netbehaviour at furtherfield.org
Wed Jul 24 10:36:54 CEST 2013

Being Boring

By Kenneth Goldsmith

http://epc.buffalo.edu/authors/goldsmith/goldsmith_boring.html

Presented at:
The First Seance for Experimental Literature, Disney REDCAT Theatre, Los
Angeles, November, 2004
Kelly Writer's House, University of Pennsylvania, Poet's Lunch, November
2004

Listen to Being Boring (MP3)
http://bit.ly/mcyPpm

I am the most boring writer that has ever lived. If there were an
Olympic sport for extreme boredom, I would get a gold medal. My books
are impossible to read straight through. In fact, every time I have to
proofread them before sending them off to the publisher, I fall asleep
repeatedly. You really don't need to read my books to get the idea of
what they're like; you just need to know the general concept.

Over the past ten years, my practice today has boiled down to simply
retyping existing texts. I've thought about my practice in relation to
Borges's Pierre Menard, but even Menard was more original than I am: he,
independent of any knowledge of Don Quixote, reinvented Cervantes'
masterpiece word for word. By contrast, I don't invent anything. I just
keep rewriting the same book. I sympathize with the protagonist of a
cartoon claiming to have transferred x amount of megabytes, physically
exhausted after a day of downloading. The simple act of moving
information from one place to another today constitutes a significant
cultural act in and of itself. I think it's fair to say that most of us
spend hours each day shifting content into different containers. Some of
us call this writing.