[NetBehaviour] Invitation to the first Translation Games exhibition London- July 31st - Aug 2nd

Pollie Barden paba77 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 11:25:18 CEST 2013

And interesting exhibition. Check it out.

Dear all,

I would like to invite you to the first Translation Games exhibition and
its opening tomorrow, on Wednesday, 31st July, at 6pm. Please see the full
text and details below.

 *What We Made*

*or*

* The Only Thing About You That We Could Fathom*

*
*

*Invitation to the first exhibition*

* of Translation Games*

Curated by Ricarda Vidal (KCL) and Jenny Chamarette (QM)

31st July to 2nd August 2013 (daily 12-6pm)

Anatomy Museum, King’s College, The Strand

*
*

*Please join us for the opening on 31st July, 6-9pm*

*for live performances, a translation competition and prize draw*

*With work by**:*

*Anna Cady, Aura Satz, Colleen Becker, Matt Rowe, Mayuri Boonham, *

*Reyhan Yazici,** Scott Ramsay-Kyle, Shaheen Kasmani*

and

Amalia Alves da Silva, Andre Freixeiro, Ayca Turkoglu, Bethany Pyner, Carla
Steinberg, Christina Vieira Barry,

Claudia Manca, Connie Cramp, Emilie Oleron, Florence Bauhofer, Freia
Nahser, Gaia Porcu, Georgina Chen-Prosser, Irina Andreea Malca, Katja
Knecht, Katharine Chadd, Leanne Zara Dickinson, Liam McShane, Marta Fava,
Mathilde Frot, Matthew Kingston, Oliver Roy, Raluca-Maria Chereji, Sana
Ashraf, Sarah Nurgat, Syed Zukifil, Thiago Metson, Tom Vanassche

**

*The Rules of the Game:*

Translation Games explores the theory and practice of translation within
literature, i.e. between languages, and in the fine arts, i.e. between art
genres and art practices. The project is modelled on the game of Chinese
Whispers, where a message is passed from person to person and goes through
various stages of transformation. Colleen Becker’s short story “What We
Made” served as the source text for both the literary and artistic
translations. The text was translated from one language into the next -
i.e. from English into French, from French into Italian, from Italian into
Spanish, etc. - and, in a parallel strand, from one art genre into the next
- i.e. from text to film, from film to ceramics, from ceramics to sound,
from sound to movement. The original text and the Spanish and Turkish
translations were translated into textile by a designer.

*Funded by: King's Cultural Institute and the **Department of German,
King’s College London*

**

*Come and see the results of the game, find out how “What We Made” became
“The only Thing about You That We Could Fathom”! If you feel like it, then
join in, contribute your own translation and win a book token!*

*www.translationgames.org* <http://www.translationgames.org/>

--
*excuse typos & txt like shorthand,*