[NetBehaviour] The Performative Bodies of Lynn Hershman Leeson: A Conversation

netbehaviour netbehaviour at furtherfield.org
Mon Jun 10 15:27:12 CEST 2013

The Performative Bodies of Lynn Hershman Leeson: A Conversation

Laura Gemini, Researcher, University of Urbino Carlo Bo
Federica Timeto, Ph.D., University of Urbino Carlo Bo

Introduction

Observing the relationship between feminism and new media from a
sociological perspective means taking the process of co-determination,
which relates these two social phenomena, into consideration. While the
first belongs to the order of the political and the cultural, the second
refers both to the technological apparatuses of society intended as the
system of communication, and to the media environment that also
characterizes the collective imaginary [1], with the production and
diffusion of its symbolic representations. [2] We consider feminism as a
specific form of observation, a way of seeing the world and its social
relations that finds an effective means of communication in the logic
and languages of new media. Generally speaking, in the context of world
society [3], as the society that encompasses all possible
communications, the relationships between partial social systems which
differentiate among themselves in functional terms needs to be taken
into account. In what follows, we relate the system of media with the
social system of the arts, within which our conversation with Lynn
Hershman – one of the most renowned feminist artists working with new
media today – takes place. Drawing on these premises, we consider the
system of the arts as a place to observe society [4], an environment for
reflexivity that articulates its themes in new forms and languages
through continuous experimentation. [5]  Lynn Hershman’s work is
exemplary as it foregrounds two correlations in particular, that between
gender and technology on the one hand, which share a processual and
unfinished openness [6], and that between art and technology on the
other, in which media affordances always make reality  possible in other
ways, disclosing the virtual component of the world. [7] Moreover, our
hypothesis also draws on the epistemological homology we retrace between
the performative framework and performance as artistic genre. On a
theoretical level, the employment of a post-representational idiom that
performatively redefines both our cognitive and bodily experience,
relates to the practice of performance as a communicative medium based
on the embodied relationships among its participants. [8]

http://median.newmediacaucus.org/tracing-newmediafeminisms/the-performative-bodies-of-lynn-hershman-leeson-a-conversation/