[NetBehaviour] Do we still engage?

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Fri Jun 21 07:21:44 CEST 2013

I don't know the answers, and if they are still reading here, or reading -
more and more schools in the United States are turning towards STEM
studies and anything critical is sutured over, just as the student hirself
is sutured: surfaces are cool. Kant, Wittgenstein, D/G, Irigaray, Butler,
are difficult, troubling, but if we can take the brain apart, it's more
app/t to tend towards discussion of downloading consciousness, yes? And so
problems move towards the applied - engineering, technology in general -
and away from messiness. Sartre, D/G, Kristeva, Lingis, Butler, Acconci,
Beuys, are messy; Schneeman performed through it, what the body and its
decay are and the isolating messiness of death. I keep going back to the
other (robotic) hand to the sheen of smartphones, ultrabooks, AR, and
anything that covers the culvert so to speak - as long as we see our own
reflections, as long as the digital can cover up the decay of Wall Street
and revolution's continuous summer in the sun...