[NetBehaviour] Garage Utopia (Deep/Young Ethereal Radio Broadcast #152)

curt at lab404.com curt at lab404.com
Sat Jun 22 18:26:18 CEST 2013

http://deepyoung.org/radio/

Usually I just cryptically post these URL and leave it at that, but here is the Too Much Information back-story of this one...

I make these mixes for myself to listen to in the car driving around -- when I'm tired of listening to Pandora and/or when I'm deep in the mountains and out of satellite range. Sometimes I make them with some idealized muse in mind, as if I were making a mix tape in high school for the pretty girl who works in the mall and sold me a shirt. Posting them on the internet is my way of steering the project away from total solipsism. They then at least open out onto someone (even if  only 12 people). This pretty much describes my entire net art practice for the last fifteen years.

I have been working on this mix for about two weeks, teasing and fretting it, removing and adding songs, adjusting the order. Usually, when I get the mix the way I want, I am about tired of listening to it. Bubblegum pop. For this one, I tried to focus more on the songs themselves and less on the bands. So it's not a showcase of how hip I am as a musical curator or historian. The accompanying image is mystical outsider art, related to the title of the mix. Like you could just go into your garage and make a perfect world. To me, the production and melodies of these songs is one version of a perfect world. Out of the western musical scale and some off the shelf electronic equipment and a marginal degree of musical craft -- a no where (utopia = nowhere).

Just like you could perhaps take a bunch of marginal pop music that is supposed to be inconsequential at best, and arrange it in such a way that something emerges which might matter.

I usually hate listening to other people's mix tapes, because I usually don't like other people's music. I'm sure it is the same with everyone. But for those who can dig it, dig it.

To download the mp3s permanently (instead of just streaming them), simply view the .m3u file in a text editor, and then go back and download the individual mp3 urls that are listed there.

Love,
Curt