[NetBehaviour] Thirsty Plant Detector Workshop on Wednesday

Emilie Giles e.j.giles at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 12:44:09 CEST 2013

Hey Helen,

I think that both of these things are forms of playful engagement - I don't
think it's a case of having to pick one over the other :) Perhaps the
Thirsty Plant Detector can be a good way of helping people new to gardening
to learn how often their plants need watering? If you've got a really busy
schedule sometimes it's hard to remember a routine in plant care and from
personal experience having one has helped me with this.

I know what you mean about the Botanicalls thing. There is a worry that
something like this means that the technology might create a situation
where there is no need for someone to have personal contact with their
plants. I don't think I would like that very much either. However, I think
the Botanicalls kit is kinda nice as it's allowing your plant to
communicate with you even when you're not in the same room as it. In a way
this brings you closer to it - you're anticipating getting back to it so
you can feed it! :)

Em

On 25 June 2013 13:11, helen varley jamieson <helen at creative-catalyst.com>wrote:

>  hi em,
> thanks for your reply. introducing people to electronics & open source
> hardware in fun & interesting ways is certainly a good thing, there are
> many ways to do that & i'm sure that your workshop is an inspiring
> introduction. but my idea of playful engagement with my plants involves
> seeding, watering, watching, touching, repotting, pruning & eating them -
> the whole thing of growing plants is for me a playful engagement.
>
> i find the botanicalls thing is even more disturbing than your detector -
> if you're going to have a system like that then why not remove the
> human-plant interaction completely & just have an automated watering system?
>
> h : )
>

> On 25/06/13 1:00 PM, Emilie Giles wrote:
>
>   Hey guys :)
>
>  Helen (Varley Jamieson) I think your point about it not being difficult
> to tell when plants are thirsty is completely true - all you need to do is
> see your plant drooping and feel that the soil is dry to know. I think
> though that as Helen (Pritchard) says, the workshop gives you the chance to
> engage with your plants in a playful way. Making something like this is a
> great way to teach people electronics in a fun way as well - most people
> who come to these workshops have never done anything like this before, or
> if they have not since school. Being an evening workshop this is more for
> adults but its been ran with kids too who absolutely love it so its a good
> way to get kids into technology.
>
>  Once people see that they can make a circuit it gives them the
> confidence to think about other projects they'd like to build, especially
> with Arduino (like in Soenke's link).
>
>  I guess something like this would be the next step!:
>
>  http://www.botanicalls.com/archived_kits/twitter/
>
>  Em
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>

> --