[NetBehaviour] Do we still engage?

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Wed Jun 26 23:08:24 CEST 2013

I was talking about K12 education primarily but the same applies; in K12,
the arts, music, etc. are being eliminated, which means the students have
no preparation for critical thought or even a kind of fundamental
creativity later on. Everything's STEM. But there's an energy nonetheless
that's increasing - think of Burning Man, SXSW and its offshoots, Make and
Maker culture including Makerbots (down the street from me here in Bklyn)
and so forth - everyone seems to be hacking into the system. The diff. is
that the shadow of the corporation falls across these venues and is often
accepted uncritically except by marginal artists just like we use smart-
phones and other blood tech -