[NetBehaviour] The strange tale of Rhizome and its Arts Council funding

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 16:55:18 CET 2013

I understand the principes of the discussion but I thought we were now
beyond this kind of discussion. I worked as a freelance consultant for the
European Community and the funds were tailored for projects needing at leat
three countries to apply. There were a djungle of small enterprises
connecting Bulgarian museums with Spanish artists and Swedish musicians,
the most of the applications were bogus and didn't have another effect than
giving them the conditions to apply. But they were not real networks and
their cooperation ended when the project money was divided between them.
I feel we have created a bureaucracy managing subventions and deciding
which groups are worth to support or not, but who watches the watchers?
Qui custodiam custodians?

Ana

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 1:40 PM, marc garrett <marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
> [...]

> the UK need of support who are not as big as the Barbican & Rhizome.
>
> The other question is, did it create possibilities for less known
> individuals & groups to be seen & supported or did merely make stronger
> those who are already well heeled?
>
> wishing you well.
>
> marc
>
>  I dont understand the discussion, digital art and technologies are
> breaking boundaries and showing they can make bridges and innovative
> networks. Why should not Rhizome be able to apply for EU-support? I am
> against all support based on national or regional bases.
>  Ana
>

>  On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM, netbehaviour <
> netbehaviour at furtherfield.org> wrote:
>
>> The strange tale of Rhizome and its Arts Council funding
>>
>> "Rhizome's Seven on Seven event took place last weekend at the Barbican
>> in London. Bringing artists and technologists together, it was the first
>> event on British soil for the digital arts organisation and was
>> sponsored by a number of organisations including Wieden + Kennedy.
>>
>> Why and how Rhizome required Arts Council funding for the event,
>> however, was opened up in a series of supposedly leaked emails, released
>> over the weekend.
>>
>> A Twitter account was set up called @jiggawebz93 by a person who remains
>> anonymous, and the account has since been suspended. The account appears
>> to have been created to leak information about Rhizome's application to
>> Arts Council England (ACE), with the account owner claiming to have
>> hacked into Rhizome's email and web CMS."
>>
>> Here is the link to the rest of the article on the matter.
>>
>> http://www.imperica.com/en/news/the-strange-tale-of-rhizome-and-its-arts-council-funding

>  http//congresomujeresdenegromontevideo.wordpress.com
> http://www.twitter.com/caravia15860606060
> http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
> http://www.scoop.it/t/food-history-and-trivia
> http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0
>

> cell Sweden +4670-3213370
> cell Uruguay +598-99470758
>

> "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with
> your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always
> long to return.
> — Leonardo da Vinci

> --->
>
> A living - breathing - thriving networked neighbourhood -
> proud of free culture - claiming it with others ;)
>
> Other reviews,articles,interviews
> http://www.furtherfield.org/reviews.php
>
> Furtherfield – online arts community, platforms for creating, viewing,
> discussing and learning about experimental practices at the
> intersections of art, technology and social change.http://www.furtherfield.org
>
> Furtherfield Gallery – Finsbury Park (London).http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery
>
> Netbehaviour - Networked Artists List Community.http://www.netbehaviour.org
> http://identi.ca/furtherfieldhttp://twitter.com/furtherfield

http//congresomujeresdenegromontevideo.wordpress.com

<http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/>

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758