[NetBehaviour] The strange tale of Rhizome and its Arts Council funding

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Thu Oct 31 18:16:47 CET 2013

On 31/10/13 05:15 AM, Paul Squires wrote:

> I guess that I wanted to just report on what happened, to give ACE their
> right of reply, which they duly did, and to end with open question as to
> what the public support of digital art looks like in 2013 - how
> decisions are made and to whom they affect (directly or otherwise).
>
> The jiggaweb93 user's motives remain unclear. Not only did they leak the
> ACE / Rhizome emails but they also hacked into the 7on7 site and then
> their Twitter account was suspended. Clearly, some energy and intent was
> put into doing all what they did.

It's an interesting hack. Assuming they did what they claim to have done
they're a reasonably capable hacker. Who is interested in the politics
of digital art. That combination seems unusual.

If it's art then it has a contemporary feel. Would this sort of thing
have happened before Wikileaks and Snowden? ArtLeaks have been working
on transparency and whistleblowing:

https://twitter.com/Art_Leaks

but this is an honest-to-goodness leak. About digital art institutions.

So I find it culturally interesting as well as politically interesting.

:-)