[NetBehaviour] Regarding The Aesthetic Experience of Art and Mathematics...

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Tue Feb 18 03:24:17 CET 2014

On 17/02/14 02:56 AM, Annie Abrahams wrote:
> The first one is probably as much a cultural phenomenon as the second
> and not something intrinsically "true"

I'd bet that the art under consideration is renaissance art, which has a
strong mathematical underpinning.

And neuroaesthetics tends to be a bit phrenological. Complex
neurological and sociological phenomena don't reduce to single nerve
clusters.

But for the art (certainly a cultural phenomenon) and mathematics (not
touching that one ;-) ) under consideration the effect observed was
similar enough to remark upon:

“When one looks at a formula rated as beautiful it activates the
emotional brain - the medial orbito-frontal cortex - like looking at a
great painting or listening to a piece of music,” said Professor Semir Zeki.

Possibly this is simply *satisfaction*, or maybe it's something more
interesting to do with how the brain manages and rewards pattern
integration. Anyway I found it interesting following the recent
discussion about art and code and their reception. If we can find art
that gives a different result, that would also be interesting.

- Rob.