[NetBehaviour] Choosing Between 3 Strategies Against Netarchical Capital and its State Form

Joel Weishaus joelweishaus at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 19:19:39 CET 2014

On 11/11/2014 9:50 AM, marc garrett wrote:
> Choosing Between 3 Strategies Against Netarchical Capital and its
> State Form.
>
> Michel Bauwens' article on p2pfoundation.
>
> "The role of art and artists may be to explore some of these
> alternatives, or actively co-construct peer produced alternatives. We
> are thinking here of art collectives like Furtherfield.org in the UK,
> with Ruth Catlow and Marc Garrett, with their projects like the
> creation of a Furtherfield Commons (a common space for artistic and
> cultural peer production), the World of Open Source Art (curation of
> open art), their Do It With Other series, exploring co-produced
> networked art and which has become a global movement. In Italy, we
> have the Art is Open Source movement by Salvatore Iaconesi and Oriana
> Persico Penelope Di Pixel), which recently supported the Near Future
> Education Lab, a serious attempt to let design students redesign their
> own education, after the future of the institution was challenged by
> budget cuts. These art collectives, through their own peer production
> practices, prefigure what can be done with technology, if its social
> contradictions are embraced, with a vision of using it for human
> emancipation. The technology itself can’t do it, but technology that
> is used as one of the political and social tools, can make a huge
> difference. Rather than the simplistic debates pro and con
> ‘technology’, the real question is ‘which technology’ and how to
> enhance and spread the existence of tools which can really assist with
> the distribution social and political power, never on its own, but
> always in conjunction with struggling social and artistic social
> movements, and their ongoing co-production of social realities."
>
> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/choosing-between-3-strategies-against-netarchical-capital-and-its-state-form/2014/11/11

An excellent and important statement.
I just want to add that this mustn't preclude the /spirit/ of artists
working alone, although essentially no one does, or has ever done, as
art drags its ghosts into the light.
But with so much talk of collectives, networking, "peer production
practices" and social media, I think individuation needs to be held
forth and clarified.

-Joel

--
Joel Weishaus