[NetBehaviour] Rosemary Mayer, 1943-2014

michael szpakowski michael at dvblog.org
Tue Nov 18 11:44:36 CET 2014

This is very beautiful Alan. One of the things I value about your work is that with all its diversity and sometimes, complexity there is room for human feeling, often very movingly expressed.
The painting  is extraordinary ( partly because it fels so odd, as no doubt it does to you, to see you portrayed there, in that other country) - I didn't know Soyer's work before. It seens to belong to that body of American representational painting which was nonetheless largely at ease with everything else that was happening in art. Fairfield Porter in particular and possibly Alex Katz spring to mind. I found about 5 other paintings of Rosemary Mayer by Soyer on Google within minutes -was she a kind of muse figure to him?
Lastly your piece led me to 0-9 and I have ordered a copy of the anthology, which looks fantastic.
How sad that, as so often, someone's death opens up all sorts of new perspectives on the world!
warmest wishesmichael