[NetBehaviour] [spectre] post-doc grant programme (blocked postings)

Joel Weishaus joelweishaus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 17:14:01 CEST 2014

The invasion of art by a corporation is not new, if we think of the
Catholic Church during the Renaissance.
But it is very dangerous, especially with a nascent art. The danger is
that it will be poisoned it at its roots.
And with an art that draws its tools from the business world, the alarm
should always be ringing.

Corporations hold out the lure of quick fame, which particularly draws
in young artists whose fledgling egos want instant fame. (I remember!)
There are already gifted people from the 1990s and early 21st C. who
have disappeared. As it should be!
So perhaps what creativity has always been about--uncertainty, "jumping
from failure to failure"--- will in the long run drive corporations, who
can't tolerate uncertainty, much less failure, away.
Meanwhile, needless to say it's important to keep exposing and
critiquing their machinations.

-Joel