[NetBehaviour] Event - Corporate Curation: Localhost Talks Series in Edinburgh, Scotland

Dave Young dvyng at riseup.net
Wed Sep 17 13:11:42 CEST 2014

!apologies for cross-posting!

Corporate Curation
http://freemachines.info/events/corporatecuration
25th September, 6.00-7.30pm at the Forest Centre Plus, 38 Castle
Terrace, EH3 9JD, Edinburgh.

As the art world adjusts after the economic crisis and a series of
funding cuts to the state arts budget, assistance from big business is
increasingly sought to subsidise cultural production. At a time when
many 'emerging artists' are not receiving fair pay for their labour,
shouldn't we welcome more investment in the arts, whether the source is
public or private? And should we expect big business sponsorship to
alter the autonomy of the artist any more or less than the state would?

Looking at Google's recent 'Dev Art' exhibition at the Barbican Centre
in London through the frame of a wider historical view on systems of
arts patronage, Corporate Curation will contextualise the current
neoliberal frameworks of cultural entrepeneurialism and the role big
business should play in the arts.

With talks by Jake Watts and Dave Young, followed by an open forum for
collective debate.