[NetBehaviour] The Future of Mapping: An Interview with Clement Valla

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Fri Sep 19 15:29:31 CEST 2014

The Future of Mapping: An Interview with Clement Valla.

by Ben Valentine

For thousands of years we have sought to map our world. In the 1670s,
Giovanni Domenico Cassini began what became the first accurate,
countrywide topographical map of France. The process took over a hundred
years to complete; the map had to be finished by his children and later
his grandchildren. As our technology has grown more precise, faster, and
scalable, so have our maps, becoming globally comprehensive.

Clement Valla, a Brooklyn-based new media artist and Rhode Island School
of Design (RISD) professor, explores the underlying processes that
produce contemporary maps. Valla focuses on our maps’ fringe conditions,
the edges where their perfect sheen frays. While intellectually we
understand that our maps are always only representations of the world,
sometimes we forget that. Via email, I conversed with Valla to get his
perspective on these maps.

http://go.shr.lc/1BTDE59