[NetBehaviour] banksy dismaland

ruth catlow ruth.catlow at furtherfield.org
Sun Aug 23 11:14:26 CEST 2015

Hi,

It is art as marketing.
It is cynicism-lite.
In tune with Brit Art's long running strategy to dash any public
expectation that art might actually do, or say, or stand for anything...
other than to induce a series of dreary snorts of disappointment.
In the UK we are plagued by its repeated demands on our attention.

It has nothing to do with anarchism, which promotes the nurture and
co-ordination of diverse individual energies for mutual benefit.

Bleah!

On 22/08/15 15:17, James Morris wrote:
> Hi Paolo,
>
> Thanks for sharing..
>
> Re the migrant boat... it occurrs to me, given the general theme,
> banksy could have probably kicked up a greater storm in the press with
> a remote control "smiler" rollercoaster ride, where one has to guide
> an empty carriage to safety to prevent a carriage full of people
> crashing into it and suffering serious injuries.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smiler_%28roller_coaster%29#Incidents
>

> Re the anarchism of it, I'd guess, entry-level, probably is what it
> is: anarchism as little more than oppositional observations.
>
> James
>

> On 22/08/15 13:49, Paolo Ruffino wrote:
>> There are a few aspects that I find to be quite curious
>>
>> 1) the park is described from the home page as hosting a festival of
>> '... entry-level anarchism'
>> http://dismaland.co.uk/
>> What does it have to do with anarchism, exactly, and how is anarchism
>> intended here?
>>
>> 2)  I see from the map that the park also has an art gallery, listed
>> as the number one attraction, and hosting 'the finest collection of
>> contemporary art'. That is where Hirst and co. can be seen, I suppose.
>> http://dismaland.co.uk/map/
>> How is that part of the anarchism? is it supposed to be part of that?
>>
>> 3) The migrant boat attraction has been seen in many of the reports
>> about Dismaland
>> http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/08/20/17/2B8604CD00000578-3204653-image-a-105_1440087221163.jpg
>>
>> After a long stay in Italy this summer, and having seen the images of
>> real migrants dying on the boats that cross the Mediterranean on
>> television news almost every day, I found this attraction to be indeed
>> quite disturbing, but also maybe uselessly so.
>>
>> I don't want to be necessarily sceptic and I would seriously like to
>> visit the show before judging, I will give it the benefit of doubt.
>> However, I find the whole project to be more interested in shocking
>> the audience (and the press) than providing a critique, and a
>> strategic one for that matter. That is maybe what I find most annoying
>> with the use of the term 'anarchism', which I believe should be used
>> with caution - unless the whole point is, indeed, to just attract the
>> press and visitors. But if the term is used, and it is on this
>> occasion, then the show must also be evaluated from a political
>> standpoint, and that's when it becomes disappointing. How is the
>> migrant boat, for instance, telling us something other than what we
>> already know, and a part from having fun of our unwillingness to stop
>> this tragedy?
>>
>> Seen from distance, it looks like a tired attempt, one that will
>> certainly generate rumours but that will be gone in 5 weeks from now.
>> I suspect the show will in fact be what it already claims to be, that
>> is, 'the UK's most disappointing new visitor's attraction'.

> [...]

Co-founder Co-director
Furtherfield

www.furtherfield.org

+44 (0) 77370 02879
Meeting calendar - http://bit.ly/1NgeLce

Furtherfield is the UK's leading organisation for art shows, labs, & debates
around critical questions in art and technology, since 1997

Furtherfield is a Not-for-Profit Company limited by Guarantee
registered in England and Wales under the Company No.7005205.
Registered business address: Ballard Newman, Apex House, Grand Arcade,
Tally Ho Corner, London N12 0EH.