[NetBehaviour] For a talk I'm giving @ Pitt-Johnstown Day of Digital Humanities

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Tue Aug 25 02:34:09 CEST 2015

Thanks!, Comments below -

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015, none wrote:

> A few pre noting notes:
> Hopefully something might be relevant here. Not entirely comprehending the
> context apart from - giving a talk.(??)

Giving a talk, which will skitter across the notes; I've never been able
to "read" a talk, or even write one.

> However, I did do that silly human thing of checking for a pattern, and
> staying with it. Perhaps it could be more riveting to read from and out
> such patterns..? I'd do in a personal text, not someone else's.. Which
> kind of takes us right into the pattern/thread that seems to Be..(?)

There are patterns, cross references; I think a major trope for me is
entanglement, maybe Buddhist depending-arising.

> The focus seems to be of examples to do with mashing edges and totalities
> of stuff.

And problematizing edges and totalities, as well as structures within and
without boundaries and totalities.

> In a sense, without having the totality, the edges might be well hidden,
> and by focusing on such endings of things - they seem to require a
> perception oriented in absolutes.

Which is where the idea of blankness comes in, endings are always
problematized, at this point even in cosmology.

> (An absolutive oriented programming..? ;) )
>
> It seems to have a territorial oriented perception - of spaces, endings,
> and edges. These corners are being put together, brought together as a
> sort of collage(??). I think am trying to say that each action of bringing
> these edges together - perhaps a Surge in the Notes' own vocabulary - has
> a unique collection of these ends.

The Surge references the overcoming of all (scientific, biological, etc.)
knowledge, as such grows exponentially. The corners are always a melange,
abject, as far as culture's concerned. I wouldn't think of collection
(which implies data-bases, etc., and some degree of exactitude), so much
as collectivities.

> Hence, it seems that each note can be an example - or Is an example(??) -
> of an edges surge.
> Here are a few examples:
> When speaking of life and death (in virtual worlds), it seems to take
> these as binary objects, oppose to one another - hence by putting them
> together, the edges become apparent. (this perception is based on language
> of "death and "life", rather than a softer focus such as a process of
> living, etc..)

Life and death in vr is always a question of representation, as well as
the death of software (or users) itself - for example, the 'body bags' in
many of the MOOs which were abandoned as their subcribers went elsewhere.

It _is_ always a question of process, but in the real world, death is a
finality, and how does one represent this? Think about it? How can death
and pain, in this regard, be represented, without turning to cartoon
images, etc.?

> Dance/movement as a practice that brings together the virtual and the
> physical realities. Or the sense of them. Again there is a sense of edges
> coming together to form a new element/thing.

When one of my avatars moves in, say, Second Life, it's movement is almost
always a movement translated from physical dance, physical dancers, using
software and topological remappings in mocap. But I'm always aware of the
physicality involved, even in virtual worlds - there's a kind of trail of
flesh...

> Glitches - visuals(?? I assume here that we talk of visual ones, could be
> all sorts though..) that are made when an edge of code meets an edge of
> electronic/electric element/s.

Visual, but also crashes, logging-out of users, etc.

> Language and its entangled limits. (i am not sure how this terminology
> operates. however, in my mind, this seems to be of a linked nature with
> the sense of digital/virtual - often used with a language for its program
> - and its intrinsically linked edge - ie. the materiality of a
> device/network line, body, etc..)

Yes, here -

> The surge ofcourse is an absolute, and ISIS offers a new absolutativeness.
> In a sense, ISIS is a sort of an embodied surge, bringing together the
> ends of terroristic perception meshed with an abosolutist historical
> perception, and statist/nationalistic edges, coming from breaks and
> breaking the Sykes/Picot borders and colonial assumptions - all occurring
> at the edges of deserts which meet fertile lands.

The surge is two-fold, the absolute, but also the growth of knowledge -
and the tension or torsion between the two regions -

> (Perhaps ISIS should be declared a Sondheim performance gone a bit
> glitchy..?)

Would NEVER want to be associated that way! :-)

> I could go on with examples, including the sense of elements going Wrong -
> ie breaking and by default new corners come together to form a malfunction
> sense? (again, wrongness might require a sense of totality..)
> Clutter as sense of things coming together, focusing on the perceptions
> that rise via the sort of new body that comes out..?

Clutter also as something which can't be mapped, which escapes mapping...

> In that sense, - new body that comes out - I thought that perhaps the
> terror algorithm was/is a bit illustrative..? Almost decorative as such?
> Just wonder how it might be if it was a terror oriented programming
> language.. Or even much more interesting, I think, a terror calculus -
> hence allowing new terror formations to be..?

There is a terror calculus, I think, which is the 0/1 section of the text
- it leads nowhere, only to collapse and absolutist division.

> Also, talk of computer kind of languages.. Perl and language, and human
> language.. Perhaps there could be a perl for camels? A perl that perhaps
> is a camel? Or camel oriented? Might be a perl that's hardly thirsty? Or a
> perl that is for deserts?

> Hey.. Hope this somehow assists in something - or some process - been a
> pleasure to delve into! :) Many THANKS for sharing, Alan!

Thank you so much for the close reading; as i said it's really useful,
it's rare to have such feedback, and I'll use it at the talk.

Cheers, and best!
Alan