[NetBehaviour] Why did you go to art school?

Simon Mclennan mclennanfilm at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 21:29:43 CEST 2015

I went at age 29 - probably because I had dropped out of an art foundation after a couple of weeks at age 17, when we moved.
My parents had encouraged me from an early age to draw and paint. Ironic.
I never applied again until much later.

In between I had made a lot of street art in Bristol, painting on paper then sticking it
on derelicts - and a huge amount of ephemeral mark making, on roads and pavements and walls, mainly with chalk…

Art college supplied a warm space to make stuff, tools and materials and a small grant which I paid back.
The two female tutors were cool, and encouraged me to explore stuff. But never really challenged me. It wouldn’t have mattered if they did.
But it gave me the idea and means to make paintings move with sound - I started making films.

Ostensibly a public art and design course, I just did whatever I damn well pleased despite the brief.

Public art was not for me in the sense of commissions etc - going in front of committees and showing
sketches of playground furniture, or bronze sculptures of people to go on beaches.

Music and film is more the ticket nowadays…

Simon