[NetBehaviour] dismal news: After the Last Sky

Johannes Birringer Johannes.Birringer at brunel.ac.uk
Sun Aug 30 22:46:22 CEST 2015

dear all

this could be a complex conversation, if opened up to those, especially, who are concerned in fact,
but cannot access this  network  No refugees are posting here. yes?

so what are we discussing?   I am sorry i brought it up,  as we are fumbling, obviously.

The refugee question, I think, for most of us here is not autobiographical as such.

The feelgood reports, Ruth, are marginal, and disorienting. I do not really think they meet the reality. The  Jasmina Tesanovic blog, Ana, I think, is sentimental, sorry, we are not "all refugees" and ex-prisoners.
some are, like yourself, but I am not sure we can claim the slogan, 'nosotros somos the 70 dead people in the truck in Austria.'   We cannot,  and thus we should not pretend. And we quiet.

it would be silly. too many have died, and drowned.

The refugees and migrants, expected to arrive, for example, in the Federal Republic of Germany this year  in  2015, are 800,000.   Eight hundred thousand.

You speak of 65 in Uruguay?

Already, at the small village next to mine, in the southwest of Germany (Saarland), the camp for the arrived migrants has spilled over, the situation may soon become unmanageable;  there is lack of food, medicine, hospitality funds, toilets, clothes, and psychological care, etc.  How do you care for people who have fled wars?   displacement, rape and all kinds of violence, aggression, humiliation?

There is no unrest, or violence, as in other areas, in Lebach, the village next door , and I am relieved about about that,  but volunteer help is stretched,  and there are only 1865 migrants,  in that small village.
the village as 12, 500 inhabitants,

In Germany, the political opinion tends to suggest that migration (the hundreds of thousands) can be managed.  Why does the Uk not think the same, or France?  Hungary? Austria?   Greece has many refugees arrive on their islands!  and you recall that Greece was in the news all  through the summer. Their citizens try to help. I applaud that.
and also my neighborhood village. They are courageous.

so how will we discuss the great migration, the new racism and resentment towards foreigners, the political debates, the closing of borders, tunnels?

how do we discuss (what the financial newspaper columns report) the trade of human refugees, the coyotes apparently charging 12,000 Euros if you flee from Syria  to Germany or Belgium,:

 the 16 billion euros of human body smuggle that coyotes earned in 2014-15:     1,2  million refugees, they pay for their transport, and average charge for  being smuggled through to Northern Europe is 12,000 Euros?  so the economics of human trade is 1,2 billion>? (that was the figure quoted in FAZ, 29 August page 19,  economics section ("Die gefaehrlichste Reiseroute der Welt").

how do yoi think about these figures?

regards
Johannes Birringer