[NetBehaviour] MONEYLAB#2: ECONOMIES OF DISSENT

furtherfield furtherfielder at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 12:10:07 CET 2015

MONEYLAB#2: ECONOMIES OF DISSENT
CONFERENCE on ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT

December 3 - 4, 2015
Pakhuis de Zwijger, Amsterdam
Organized by the Institute of Network Cultures (HvA)

Tickets: 30 euro/day and 60 euro/both days. Students: 15 euro/day and 30
euro/both days. All tickets include lunch.

Program and tickets:
http://networkcultures.org/blog/2015/09/10/tickets-for-moneylab2-economies-of-dissent-now-available/

The Institute of Network Cultures presents MONEYLAB#2: ECONOMIES OF DISSENT
??? an international symposium hosting artists, activists, programmers and
academics that probe, challenge and hack today???s global economy.

What political imperatives shape the economy of dissent? What different
views on the redistribution of wealth and the exchange of value are out
there? How can we re-design our financial infrastructures?

The important first steps are being taken beyond moral outrage and towards
systemic interventions in the global austerity economy. We witness an
impressive amount of financial counter-concepts, works of art, digital
currencies, tools and hacks giving shape to an emerging economy of dissent.
This economy operates across borders, on different scales, from sole acts
of defiance to a sovereign ???oxi???, and is expressed variously as:
strategy, circumvention, innovation, visualization, and making-do.

Two days of talks, performances, and workshops provide a stage for a
variety of financial interventions such as visualizations of shadow
economies, a guidebook how to extort money from banks, Robin Hood-style
financial hacks, peer-to-peer insurance companies, financial leak
platforms, and blockchain initiatives for the commons.

Confirmed speakers: Robert van Boeschoten / Enric Duran / Rachel O??? Dwyer
/Eduard de Jong / Primavera De Filippi / David Golumbia / N??ria G??ell  /
Max Haiven / Femke Herregraven / Cecile Landman / Silvio Lorusso /  Paul
Radu /  Jip de Ridder / Lena Rethel / Robin Hood Minor Asset Management /
Stephanie Rothenberg / Brett Scott

Topics: Bringing the Dark Side of Money to Light | Financial Literacy |
Artistic Interventions in Finance | Digital Revenue Models in the Arts |
Crypto-Currencies and their Future | Tactics for Economic Dissent |
Blockchain Technologies and Initiatives | Distributed Insurance | Digital
Currencies | Financial Leak Platforms | Hacking Global Finance | Bank
Extortion | Web-based offshore corruption games | Sharia Banking | Ethereum
| Exposing Shadow Economies |

Discussion List:
Blog: http://networkcultures.org/moneylab/
MoneyLab Reader:
http://networkcultures.org/blog/publication/moneylab-reader-an-intervention-in-digital-economy/
.

Editors: Geert Lovink, Patricia de Vries
Advisors: Nathaniel Tkacz, Brett Scott, Patrice Riemens

BACKGROUND

We witness the development and production of an impressive amount of
financial counter-concepts, tools, platforms, works of art, digital
currencies, and payment services giving shape to an emerging economy of
dissent. This economy operates across borders, on different scales, from
sole acts of defiance to sovereign refusal, and is expressed variously as:
strategy, circumvention, innovation, visualization, making-do, and whatever
else can be done with limited resources.

What political imperatives shape the economy of dissent? What different
views on the redistribution of wealth and the exchange of value are out
there? How can we re-design our financial infrastructures? What types of
experiments do we need? Can we formalize value without relying on central
mediators or the money form?

Amidst crashing markets there are dangers of falling back on populism,
nihilism or anti-globalism. We need to channel our outrage, talk
innovation, and help foster alternatives in the service of the commons. We
need to develop scalable models that allow for more autonomy and a sense of
ownership.

This second edition of MoneyLab provides a podium for a variety of
financial interventions such as visualizations of shadow economies, a Robin
Hood-style financial hack asset bank, peer-to-peer insurance companies,
financial leak platforms, blockchain initiatives for the commons, and a
guidebook on how to extort money from banks.

These forms of dissent face serious challenges, ranging from funding,
scaling and competition with central monetary institutions to issues of
power, security and trust. Despite these challenges, the development of
these alternatives represents a move away from the legacy powers and
monetary institutions of our previous centuries. It is a move toward more
bottom up and smaller-scale initiatives, a call for more ownership and
control by citizens, a need for a more participatory form of finance. They
are nascent organizational forms and initiatives, operating on
smaller-scales, aiming to harness network effects so that the economy of
dissent will, at some point, reach a critical mass and morph into wider
structural transformation. As the Greek ???oxi??? shows us, we need to
stand up and demand the democratization of global finance.

MoneyLab starts with the conviction that we need to experiment with
initiatives that allow for the distribution and exchange of value in
different ways. The economic mire we???re in is not merely a technological
problem waiting for a technical solution or ???best practice???. Our
creative interventions must be considered an exercise in future world
building, spanning the political, legal, social, psychological, technical
and economic.

Founded in 2013, MoneyLab is a network of researchers, artists and
activists that critique global finance while working on alternatives at the
same time. The initiative is coordinated from the Amsterdam University of
Applied Sciences (HvA) by the Institute of Network Cultures.

PROGRAM

Thursday December 3:

Session 1: Bringing the Dark Side of Money to Light

>From the Swiss Leaks project, that showed how the HSBC Bank helped its
clients shield income from tax collectors, to the exposure of financial
loopholes and web-based games that visualize the shadow world of the
offshore economy; much of the finance and banking scandals that have
unraveled over the past year started off with whistleblowing and the work
of thorough investigative journalism. Some artists, journalists and
activists have taken the important first step beyond moral outrage towards
systemic interventions. What forms do these interventions take and what do
they unravel?

Do we need to become financially literate, and if so, what do we need to
raise our financial literacy? What does it take to read the classified
documents of the world's private banking systems? Can only experts make
proper use of them?
What are the key takeaways of these investigative projects?  Are we
drowning in material or have we only caught a glimpse of the tip of the
iceberg?

Confirmed speakers: Femke Herregraven, Paul Radu
Moderator: Cecile Landman

Workshop & Break-Out Sessions:

- Artistic Interventions in Finance (with Max Haiven)

Max Haiven is Assistant Professor in the Division of Art History and
Critical Studies at the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, Canada and
an expert in all matters money and art. During this workshop he will
discuss his recent book ???Cultures of Financialization???.

- Crowdfunding in the Arts: the NL Case

In this workshop we want to give an overview of different initiatives in
the Netherlands to overcome the problems caused by budget cuts and economic
malaise amongst artists. What is the current situation with crowdfunding?
Where is need for research? Can platforms like Spotify or YouTube provide a
living?

Session 2: Tactics for Economic Dissent

The tasks on the table after formulating a rigorous critique on the current
banking and finance system are plentiful. The question is not what can be
done, but where do we start? Financial activism today goes beyond calls for
laws, regulations and institutional oversight. Different alternative
practices unfold, ranging from networking initiatives, ethical banking,
speculative hacks in high finance trading, and hands-on grass roots
solutions. What are the power dynamics surrounding these practices? What
are the hindrances? What counter-narrative is being produced here?

Confirmed speakers: Robin Hood Minor Asset Management, Enric Duran, Lena
Rethel
Moderator: Brett Scott

Friday December 4:

Session 3: Artistic Interventions

If money is a medium, it can be imagined in different ways. If money is a
medium, it can be used to different ends. Over the last seven years we have
seen the rise of finance art: shrewd, bold, well-versed, trickster-like
tools, installations and objects actively engaging with high finance and
banking systems. In depth-research, provocation and visualization are some
of the tactics used to critique, visualize and materialize the virtual
political economy of banking and finance. How does money affect social
processes and the way we relate to one another? Where is there room for
intervention and autonomy? Is there such a thing as finance art? And what
alternatives are imagined?

Confirmed speakers:  Stephanie Rothenberg, N??ria G??ell, Silvio Lorusso
Moderator: Max Haiven

Workshop & Break-Out Sessions:

- Temporary Amsterdam Office of Robin Hood Asset Management

Robin Hood Minor Asset Management is a financial project most known for its
???Deleuzian' hedge fund that began in 2013 in Helsinki. It describes
itself as ???an alternative method of financial investment, providing a way
for those shut out of big-time investment funds to profit from the same
systems that benefit the Wall Street fat cats???. Besides presenting their
algorithm, also known as The Parasite, Robin Hood will discuss their
current plans to launch its own blockchain technologies.

- P2P Insurance with Jip de Ridder

Decentralized insurance claims that we can insure ourselves at a lower
cost, regardless of pre-existing conditions. As we all know, commercial
insurance companies take up to a 20% cut and spend it on employees who look
for reasons to reject your claim. Why don???t your friends and family
validate your health insurance claim?

Session 4: Blockchain: Revolution or Business as Usual?

The different usages of the blockchain ??? as the grid on which Bitcoin and
other crypto-currencies are running, as a platform to sell art, as the
administration and as a transparent decision-making and voting technology
for various kinds of organizations ???show that it is a political-economic
response to the question: what needs to change? The undermining of existing
finance formations can be found in anonymity; p-2-p, bottom-up initiatives
are made possible by this consensus-based protocol. Trust is a central
challenge to a different future economy.

How can we generate trust in these types of technologies on a larger-scale
??? expanding outside the domain of the small, tech-savvy communities and
progressive developers who currently use it ??? without falling back on a
centralized mediator, like banks? What does it mean when we argue in favor
of such a general tool that is designed to administrate whatever value or
procedure? And how decentralized is it anyway? What underlying structures,
political and economic, does it tackle? What does the future hold for
crypto-currencies and blockchain technology? Will they be co-opted by the
big banks as an extra payment service? Will they form parallel exchange
systems of trust and security?

Confirmed speakers: Primavera De Filippi, David Golumbia, Rachel O???Dwyer
Moderator: Eduard de Jong