[NetBehaviour] Galleries and digital work

John Hopkins chazhop at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 05:50:12 CET 2015

On 03/Dec/15 08:34, dave miller wrote:
> "What if an artist’s work doesn’t fit - architecturally, conceptually,
> traditionally - within a gallery’s programme? Increasing numbers of artists

If you are walking in the 'stellar spaces' of certain kinds of individual
creativity, you are generally alone. That's what I've discovered. Like Randall
says, behind or ahead of the dominant times. No way to really determine which
when the impact of work cannot be measured easily in the social system.

For example, I have a network of a couple hundred people who are interested in
what I do, and on occasion, they show that support by purchasing certain forms
of work (mostly photographic prints). Much of my 'work' though is totally not
about product, but either process, or, ultimately 'praxis' -- the holistic way
of going that includes all expenditures of life energy. People who don't know me
have no interest in the products, while those who know my praxis realze that the
products and their fiscal support allows me to continue my creative praxis.
Problem is, though, when one's work is seemingly completely irrelevant to the
surrounding social system, it can be very difficult to rationalize ones life,
and to find the force to continue forward.

Then there is the time/money issue -- if you can get paid for doing something
that furthers your praxis, wow, what a luxury. Most of the time, the work
required to get paid to survive in the social system requires that one pay with
time away from ones praxis. I go by the route of *not* getting paid for
furthering my praxis. It doesn't help with fiscal security, but at least I get
some small satisfaction that I am getting something done that I believe needs
doing in the very biggest picture!

Ah, it's always a conundrum. I think a Buddhist approach is that anything and
everything one does is leaning in the direction of that creative praxis, but
it's hard to maintain such thinking in the face of a ruthlessly materialist
society. I have many friends from my engineering school days, some working in
Big Oil, Wall Street, and such -- and to see the difference in social rewards
for them, versus folks working in the 'cultural industry' sector can also be
disheartening... But some of these same friends support my work both fiscally
and psychically through their friendship.

In the end, I value my human network over everything else like jobs, cash,
status, and gallery shows...

So it goes!

JH

PS -- one of my personal mottos is "Fuck Art, Let's Dance!"
Dr. John Hopkins, BSc, MFA, PhD
grounded on a granite batholith
twitter: @neoscenes
http://tech-no-mad.net/blog/