[NetBehaviour] PREVENT meet KAREN

Roger Mills roger at eartrumpet.org
Sat Dec 5 00:23:37 CET 2015

For some wider context on government measures to address so called radicalisation, we have our own here in Australia.

Meet KAREN, the potential extremist who listens to alternative music and is passionate about environmental politics. I know it sounds like a joke but read on….

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-24/anti-radicalisation-kit-under-fire-from-green-groups-teachers/6803024 <http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-24/anti-radicalisation-kit-under-fire-from-green-groups-teachers/6803024>

This was launched as a Radicalisation Awareness Kit in schools here.

It is so laughable and out of touch (like the crusty conservative politicians that concocted it) that the media actually had a field day sending it up, but it at least highlights how some in government would like to use the current political situation around terrorism to shut down debate about their own agendas.

Interesting too that KAREN implicitly locates radicalisation and violence in a female environmentalist.

je suis KAREN

Roger
—
http://www.eartrumpet.org <http://www.eartrumpet.org/>