[NetBehaviour] Reminder Floating Points exhibition

ruth catlow ruth.catlow at furtherfield.org
Tue Dec 15 11:41:10 CET 2015

Really sorry that I won't be able to make it to this.
But would love to hear about it from anyone that can.

/The Southern Ocean Studies/ is a sublime art work (not hyperbole, this
work evokes the precision of Durer with the cyber-gods' eye view of our
relationship with our ocean environment).

Thanks Tom for sharing!
:)

On 15/12/15 08:28, TOM CORBY wrote:

> Dear all, just a quick reminder in the seasonal madness
>
>  it would be lovely to see you at the private view on December 18th.
> Come and have a glass of wine and a chat. Details below.
>
> tom
>

> http://digital-realism.net/296-2/
>

> FLOATING POINTS
>
> Gavin Baily, Tom Corby
>
> Ambika P3, University of Westminster,
> 35 Marylebone Road, London NW1 5LS
>
> Private view:  6.00 pm Friday 18th December
>
> Exhibition Opening hours:  Saturday 19th Dec – Monday 21 Dec,  12.00-6.00
> We are pleased to announce a new exhibition by Gavin Baily and Tom
> Corby consisting of 3 screen-based projects and an installation set
> within P3’s underground galleries.
> The Northern Polar Studies (2015) and Minima, Maxima (2015) are
> premiered, while The Southern Ocean Studies (in collaboration with Dr
> Jonathan Mackenzie 2010), and Cyclone (2005 – 2015) are uniquely shown
> together for the first time. All 4 works employ various forms of
> climate or meteorological data to visually and physically condense the
> aleatory, hidden and the systemic aspects of sites and landscapes as
> large-scale data animation or installation.
>
> Art has long found ways to make tangible the Earth’s exhalation of
> atmospheres and climates. This exhibition can be seen as part of this
> tradition, but breaks from it by bringing contemporary scientific
> technologies, data and institutions to bear to show how universal
> concepts of human relations with landscape are still  pertinent in a
> contemporary context of accelerating climate change.  Additionally,
> the complex entanglements of the social, material, atmospheric and
> geographic explored throughout these works, extend our feel for
> landscape and also our sense of how time functions in it. Landscape
> through its laminations, layering and morphologies, is conceived in
> this work as a recording device that tracks the Earth’s changing
> energy signatures. This movement of time and matter reimagines
> environmental terrains as extended temporal forms resultant from
> long-term changes; which we might propose of as ‘deep time landscapes’.
> This work has been made in collaboration with the British Antarctic
> Survey, and special thanks goes to Nathan Cunningham, Dr Clare
> Tancell, Professor David Walton, Dr Beatrix Schlarb-Ridley, Professor
> Mike Meredith, and Pete Bucktrout. Funding for this work has been by
> Arts Council England, the Arts and Humanities Research Council and the
> Natural Environment Research Council, and the Centre for Research in
> Education, Art and Media at the University of Westminster.

Co-founder Co-director
Furtherfield

www.furtherfield.org

+44 (0) 77370 02879
Meeting calendar - http://bit.ly/1NgeLce
Bitcoin Address 197BBaXa6M9PtHhhNTQkuHh1pVJA8RrJ2i

Furtherfield is the UK's leading organisation for art shows, labs, &
debates
around critical questions in art and technology, since 1997

Furtherfield is a Not-for-Profit Company limited by Guarantee
registered in England and Wales under the Company No.7005205.
Registered business address: Ballard Newman, Apex House, Grand Arcade,
Tally Ho Corner, London N12 0EH.