[NetBehaviour] ONE SECOND LEAP FESTIVAL _ LOOK NOW

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Wed Jul 1 23:01:01 CEST 2015

Hi Randall,

I can't speak for Bjorn of course, but the festival has fascinated me -

1. The idea of a rupture in a regular grid (whether adding an additional
second or repeating one - in either case, the gap, split, slit is the
same); this relates to the difference between cosmological and logical
time-frames;

2. The idea of a one-second festival, and a festival, at that, which
occurs only online, therefore gridded with Internet time and its absolute
structure;

3. The idea of failure in a festival which can in fact only show one work
during the second, the rest archived; and the idea of failure in atomic
clocks which in their very regularity opened up the split or gap for the
festival;

4. The idea of the festival as a tuning between UTC and other zones (and
David Clark in Halifax has created AR work dealing with the very creation
of time zones themselves);

5. Finally the most recent festival I've been involved in, IRQ3 at Brown
(and they won't have me again), had surface and depressing, agonizing
politics, while the one second festival is too short for any such
disruption;

6. And I'm fascinated personally with the distinction between a "pure"
structure (Kristeva's clean and proper body, which also underlies the
digital/quantum domain with its potential wells etc.), and a show which
operates on what might appear to be the corruption of that structure -

- which is mirrored, I think, in the resulting videos before and after the
second, documenting the entire event and its submissions, and which should
be available to anyone through an archive.

This is remniscent of another event, operating on a different sort of
interstice, Jorge Rojas' Low Lives festival, for example at
http://lowlives.net/home/news/ ; DVDs were released as a result.

- Alan

==
current text http://www.alansondheim.org/tg.txt