[NetBehaviour] Bad review[s]

Michael Szpakowski m at michaelszpakowski.org
Wed Sep 16 15:07:49 CEST 2015

Yep I take the same line. In general life is too short to write about art one hates. I would rather enthuse ( not in a kind of mindless way but by trying to get to the bottom of what for me makes something wonderful...)I do think occasionally though that some work is *so* cynical or raises such ethical worries that sticking the boot in might then be not only justified but the right thing to do...And in connection with this I do think it's really important to defend the right of critics to be as horrible and a wrong as they want - there is a brand of Panglossian criticism ( actually a rather woolly boosterism - see most of the art press) flourishing currently that is very much tied to the ever increasing sway of the market & there might come a time when it's necessary to be willing to have a bit more of a scrap.
Agree with you about many things, Rob, but Infinite Jest is one of the finest novels of the last 100 years :) We should maybe have an Infinite Jest-off in print one day...
michael