[NetBehaviour] An interview with Geert Lovink

Annie Abrahams bram.org at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 15:31:12 CEST 2015

I am one of those who isn't really waiting for curators to pick up digital
art. The so-called art world is institutional, capitalistic, elitist - it
thrives on money.
In this article Geert says something very interesting to me :
" We need to design new ‘stages’ where we can act out our collective
resistance. I am very interested in new forms of organization (called
orgnets) and how these cells can become ‘crowd crystals’ for new
discourses. Later on we can see how these things scale up. Right now we
need more experimentation, temporary autonomous zones where discussion can
thrive. I fear this will not happen inside the monopoly social media
(obviously) but maybe also not on the open internet as we know it as these
public spaces are terrorized by trolls and controlled by bots. In this
turbulent yet fragile global condition, what the world needs is semi-closed
networks."
I don't even know what orgnets are, nor crowd crystals, but it triggers my
imagination and Netbehaviour does seem to be an exemple of the semi-closed
networks he mentions.

Question: Is netbehaviour semi-closed?