[NetBehaviour] My name is [Your Name Here] and I am an Accelerationist

ruth catlow ruth.catlow at furtherfield.org
Thu Apr 21 19:27:26 CEST 2016

Dear Annie, Dave, Alan and Paul,

Annie you asked
"I want to slow down, to be attentive, to touch - can that be part of
Accelerationisme?"

Yes. I think so.
This is less about speed (as distinct from Futurism) than it is about
rates of change.

The technologies that we use are bound up with with advanced capitalism.
We watch our political and social infrastructures unable to evolve fast
enough to solve the wicked problems - for environment, democracy,
justice and a good life- than they create.

I think we can take two attitudes

1) Save ourselves! Take what we can carry, run for the hills and build
the best fortresses we can with people whose values we share.

or

2) coordinate and collaborate in the higher interests of all living
beings - constantly working out who and what these are- and using all
means at our disposal.

I like the idea of living in the hills.
But not under siege, and not in earshot of future generations of
bemused, brutalised, alienated people.

The dominant model of global coexistence is that of endless economic
growth and Neoliberalism (the (increasingly automated) marketization of
everything). This  tends to centralize power and resources and renders
less effective the usual ways of blocking and resisting; of work-based
and traditional-identity based solidarity.

Instead Contemporary Accelerationism suggests (I think) that we use in
new combinations all the tools, tactics, and knowledges in an attempt to
perform a series of judo moves (using the force rather than resisting
the force), or to sling-shot our way through the mess we are in.

As always, there needs to be a way to accommodate the visions and madcap
schemes of all sorts- many islands rather than one land mass as Paul
said. That's why this discussion here and now.

Respect!
Ruth

On 21/04/16 12:01, Annie Abrahams wrote:
> My name is Annie Abrahams and I don't know if I am an Accelerationist.
> I don't like the word and I know that words are not innocent.
> I do like Ruth and I know she never is completely wrong.
>
> Why in the first place I should think about it? Modernism, the
> Postmodern, the New Aesthetics, Post Internet Art - just names, almost
> forgotten names - containers that served to categorize discussions,
> postures ... analyses? perspectives?
>
> Is Accelerationisme the most recent one in this row?
> What should we discuss ... ?
> Accelerate? What is knowledge in this frame, how is it constructed? Is
> it a-historical? Is it prospective?
>
> I want to slow down, to be attentive, to touch - can that be part of
> Accelerationisme?
>
> (to be continued)
>
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 11:37 AM, ruth catlow
> <ruth.catlow at furtherfield.org <mailto:ruth.catlow at furtherfield.org>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>     My name is Ruth Catlow,
>     and I am an Accelerationist.
>
>     Back in 1996 ....
>     (to be continued)

> Gretta Louw reviews my book
> <http://www.furtherfield.org/features/reviews/personal-politics-language-digital-colonialism-annie-abrahams%E2%80%99-estranger>
> from "estranger to e-stranger: Living in between languages", and finds
> that not only does it demonstrate a brilliant history in performance
> art, but, it is also a sharp and poetic critique about language and
> everyday culture.
>
> New project with Daniel Pinheiro and Lisa Parra : Distant Feeling(s)
> <http://bram.org/distantF/>

Co-founder Co-director
Furtherfield

www.furtherfield.org

+44 (0) 77370 02879
Meeting calendar - http://bit.ly/1NgeLce
Bitcoin Address 197BBaXa6M9PtHhhNTQkuHh1pVJA8RrJ2i

Furtherfield is the UK's leading organisation for art shows, labs, &
debates
around critical questions in art and technology, since 1997

Furtherfield is a Not-for-Profit Company limited by Guarantee
registered in England and Wales under the Company No.7005205.
Registered business address: Ballard Newman, Apex House, Grand Arcade,
Tally Ho Corner, London N12 0EH.