[NetBehaviour] Accelerationism

ruth catlow ruth.catlow at furtherfield.org
Sun Apr 24 12:15:21 CEST 2016

Yes Michael, and this is profoundly poetic.

All human traditions, values and communities are dissolved in an acid
bath of everlasting agitation and uncertainty.

What this passage does not describe though is a situation where the
wider ecologies of non-human planetary life, upon which we depend, are
also fatally eroded.
We need to sense and engage not just the real relations with "our kind"
(expanded to engage people and perspectives of all kinds (YES Gretta!)),
but beyond, with other species, and materials.

This must include a correction to systems of dominance - to which Simon
points with his example of improper use of neuro-science to validate the
'use' of humans.

On 23/04/16 16:38, Michael Szpakowski wrote:
> Marx & Engels on accelerationism in 1848:
>
> "The bourgeoisie cannot exist without constantly revolutionising the
> instruments of production, and thereby the relations of production,
> and with them the whole relations of society. Conservation of the old
> modes of production in unaltered form, was, on the contrary, the first
> condition of existence for all earlier industrial classes. Constant
> revolutionising of production, uninterrupted disturbance of all social
> conditions, everlasting uncertainty and agitation distinguish the
> bourgeois epoch from all earlier ones. All fixed, fast-frozen
> relations, with their train of ancient and venerable prejudices and
> opinions, are swept away, all new-formed ones become antiquated before
> they can ossify. All that is solid melts into air, all that is holy is
> profaned, and man is at last compelled to face with sober senses his
> real conditions of life, and his relations with his kind."
>
>    This does the *descriptive* job as well as anything written since
> and it still stands perfectly well...
> Sent from my iPhone

Co-founder Co-director
Furtherfield

www.furtherfield.org

+44 (0) 77370 02879
Meeting calendar - http://bit.ly/1NgeLce
Bitcoin Address 197BBaXa6M9PtHhhNTQkuHh1pVJA8RrJ2i

Furtherfield is the UK's leading organisation for art shows, labs, &
debates
around critical questions in art and technology, since 1997

Furtherfield is a Not-for-Profit Company limited by Guarantee
registered in England and Wales under the Company No.7005205.
Registered business address: Ballard Newman, Apex House, Grand Arcade,
Tally Ho Corner, London N12 0EH.