[NetBehaviour] Mu6ic: Networked Artistic Performance over IPV6

Kenneth Fields kfields at ucalgary.ca
Wed Jan 13 03:36:19 CET 2016

Hi Joumana,
I’d be happy to Skype with you and give you a tutorial
on the Artsmesh application, which combines connection logistics,
audio, video, open sound control and network testing tools,
performance score scrolling and sync’d metronome/clocks,
youtube streaming, etc…

Invitation is for all; anytime.

For dance, you'd utilize open sound control (OSC) to communicate
across the network to control any interactive aspect of sound, video,
or device controller. There is a max patch for a Kinect for example,
that tracks body points and sends over the network.

The IPV6 issue is a special problem for me (in China), as IPV4
is useless here. But you can use Artsmesh on a normal internet2,
university network, or a wide broadband home/commercial network (at least 50M,
up and down). Or more generally and practically, you can simply utilize
the local network more (different rooms in the same building) and not have
all those wires going all over the place. Local networks are mostly 1 gbps.
Instead of bringing all my equipment to the performance space now,
I simply use my school practice studio as control booth for
routing all the audio/video to the concert hall over ethernet.

IPV6 launch day (2012) apparently happened everywhere but in academia,
which is strictly cost/benefit minded these days - not knowledge/benefit.

See you,
Ken