[NetBehaviour] #PostRefArt

ruth catlow ruth.catlow at furtherfield.org
Sun Jul 3 11:13:21 CEST 2016

Thanks Steven and Anita, for initiating this conversation.

I, like many people I have spoken to over the last week (including our
many European friends and colleagues in the UK and on the continent)
have found this last week very distressing.

The referendum promoted a narrative, supported in ALL mainstream media,
(not just in the UK it seems, but across Europe)... that characterizes
the British people, and especially the English, as
wannabe-again-Imperialists, and (depending on their class) either dumb,
uneducated and racist; or hubristic Neoliberal muppets.

This narrative is now amplified (and seemingly proved) by an upsurge of
street-level racism and hostility towards our neighbours from Germany,
Poland, Greece, Romania etc who have enriched our lives by making theirs
in the UK.

Before the referendum, I found myself uneasy about actually campaigning
for Remain in spite of my desire for pan-European peoples' alliance-
because I couldn't ally myself with the dominating political arguments
proposed by the Tories (and backed up by big-business and the
establishment), and didn't want to participate in a process that further
stamped on the dignity of people in the UK who are already so
disenfranchised by the effects of austerity cuts (and many years of
other systemic injustices). The social-liberal
<http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/02/march-for-europe-eu-referendum-london-protest>
layer in the UK is now finding its voice, but the reporting of the
protests reinforces the Leave-voter caricatures.

So I am looking for better information. Here's some
<http://www.globalresearch.ca/regime-change-in-britains-labour-party-the-ashcroft-opinion-poll-is-this-why-jeremy-corbyn-must-go/5533742>

A UCL study has shown that the poorest 20% of British workers have
indeed been affected adversely by immigration... [nevertheless]....Asked
which of the following they considered to be forces for good, a
considerable proportion of leave voters expressed support for
multi-culturalism (29%), social liberalism (32%), globalisation (49%),
the green movement (38%), feminism (40%) and even immigration (21%).
About half of the voters, whether leave or remain, felt capitalism was a
force for ill rather than a force for good (51%:49%).

Whatever we do, I think we need to build solidarity with other people
who are suffering the effects (and they are many) of the bank crisis and
resulting austerity politics.

Respect,

Ruth

http://www.furtherfield.org/rcatlow/rethinking_wargames/
On 02/07/16 19:19, Steven Ball wrote:
> I’m posting this to following a brief conversation with Anita McKeown, Ruth, and Marc.
>
> The ramifications for life in the UK after the EU referendum are still very unclear. Parliamentary politics is in meltdown and the direction of travel for future government seems to be further right, the economy is looking precarious, meanwhile a toxic wave of overt public racist violence is spreading across the country. It is tempting to think that we are entering a disturbingly illiberal dystopia. Artists cannot sit by or remain in a bubble while this happens, the necessity of responding to this situation is urgent, but what can we do, what are we doing?
>
> The purpose of this discussion is twofold:
> - Firstly and most simply to make connections, to share information about what we are doing in response as part of our practice, to share news and information of any exhibitions or opportunities to produce public responses to the current situation.
> - Secondly to speculate how we might produce and present work that responds to the current situation, what is the nature of that work, who does it address, and where will it be exhibited.
>
> We invite and welcome your action, thoughts, and ideas.

Co-founder Co-director
Furtherfield

www.furtherfield.org

+44 (0) 77370 02879
Meeting calendar - http://bit.ly/1NgeLce
Bitcoin Address 197BBaXa6M9PtHhhNTQkuHh1pVJA8RrJ2i

Furtherfield is the UK's leading organisation for art shows, labs, &
debates
around critical questions in art and technology, since 1997

Furtherfield is a Not-for-Profit Company limited by Guarantee
registered in England and Wales under the Company No.7005205.
Registered business address: Ballard Newman, Apex House, Grand Arcade,
Tally Ho Corner, London N12 0EH.