[NetBehaviour] Networking the Unseen Video

helen varley jamieson helen at creative-catalyst.com
Thu Jul 7 13:28:19 CEST 2016

On 7/07/16 11:39 05AM, marc garrett wrote:
> >Why has our working definition of ‘technology’ become so narrow? We
> have such tunnel vision, sometimes…
it's the manipulation of language in order to exercise control. so many
words have been manipulated like this, from "creative" to "freedom" & so
on. it's probably not a new phenomenon, but maybe it's become more
pervasive ...

> [...]
> oppressors, and has been used by grass roots cultures (in the UK) for
> hundreds (even thousands) of years. The thesis refers the True
> Levellers and the Diggers and other examples of imaginative dissent.
> Also, there has been writing on the subject by Kathleen Kennedy in her
> book in 2009 called ‘Medieval Hackers’-
> https://punctumbooks.com/titles/medieval-hackers/
>
> The thing is, it’s not about the ‘little boy rebel’ thing, as some may
> presume. It’s more about connecting up with people who share similar
> values, whilst adapting to the forces trying to block such an very
> emancipatory need happening. And thus, particular actions need to take
> place which are grounded and not merely gestures that relate to:
> breaking into and opening up closed systems, changing a context or
> situation, highlighting an issue, finding ways around problems,
> changing defaults, and restructuring things.
>
> And this where I think my own and various peers who we’ve been working
> with connect up. Way back, we realised technology was not the utopia
> that certain ‘innovation’ gurus, either believed or pretended was true.
>
> And, like you I think Jampijinpa’s pithy comment, when he said “…this
> so-called technology”. As you say, is true.
>
> This is what’s so amazing about working different people from places
> that are completely different to our Westernised canons or sets of
> belief systems. When their voices are heard, the context of what is
> learned and rediscovered, resonates deeply beyond the traditional
> shallowness of the ‘art market’ dominated world, as well as the soiled
> sheen of corporate nonsense that blinds us all from building real
> alliances with others on our own terms.
>
> Wishing you well.
>
> marc
>
> On 6 July 2016 at 20:16, Gretta Louw <gretta.elise.louw at gmail.com
> <mailto:gretta.elise.louw at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks so much for this - a lovely summary! I especially get a
>     kick out of Jampijinpa’s pithy comment about “…this so-called
>     technology”. It’s so true. Why has our working definition of
>     ‘technology’ become so narrow? We have such tunnel vision, sometimes…
>
>     g.
>

>>     On 06 Jul 2016, at 12:00, furtherfield <furtherfielder at gmail.com
>>     <mailto:furtherfielder at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Networking the Unseen Video.
>>
>>     This video was taken at Networking the Unseen opening event at
>>     Furtherfield Gallery (London) on Friday 17 June 2016.
>>     https://vimeo.com/173324435
>>
>>     Featuring Artists: Gretta Louw, Lily Hibberd, Brook Andrew,
>>     Curtis Taylor, Jenny Fraser, Sharon Nampijinpa Anderson and the
>>     Warnayaka Art Centre.
>>
>>     If you have not been to the show yet & wish to visit -- look here
>>     http://furtherfield.org/programmes/exhibition/networking-unseen

> Marc Garrett
> Co-Founder, Co-Director and main editor of Furtherfield.
>
> Furtherfield - A living, breathing, thriving network

helen varley jamieson
helen at creative-catalyst.com <mailto:helen at creative-catalyst.com>
http://www.creative-catalyst.com
http://www.upstage.org.nz