[NetBehaviour] Artists Re:Thinking the Blockchain crowdfunder and open call

ruth catlow ruth.catlow at furtherfield.org
Thu Jul 28 11:53:03 CEST 2016

Just 0.6 Bitcoin from the target now!

;)

On 28/07/16 10:44, nathan jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> delighted to announce Torque's new book and public discourse project,
> in partnership with Furtherfield.
>
> ARTISTS RE:THINKING THE BLOCKCHAIN will be a beautifully designed,
> accessible introduction, speculative art and radical theoretical book
> about this still largely mythical technology.  It aims to reroute
> conversations that up to now have been dominated by financial
> concerns, into less utilitarian areas.
>
> We're over halfway through our small crowdfunder
> <http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/artists-rethinking-the-blockchain>, so
> we just need a few more pre-orders and pledges to help us get the
> project launched. Your pre-order or donation will contribute to
> printing costs, and most importantly help us compete for funding from
> Arts Council England, which is tricky given the shadowy subject matter.
> So we need all the help we can!
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kngWnLDyeCM
>
> We're also seeking proposals
> <http://www.torquetorque.net/projects/open-call-artists-rethinking-the-blockchain/> for
> content.
> http://www.torquetorque.net/projects/open-call-artists-rethinking-the-blockchain/
>
> After a range of public events, Artists Re:Thinking the Blockchain
> book will launch in Jan 2017 as a limited edition print edition and
> freely available digital copies, accompanied by a
> blockchain-based-protocol version.
>
> It will be our third book after Mind Language Technology
> <http://www.torquetorque.net/publications/torque-1-mind-language-and-technology/>(2014)
> and The Act of Reading
> <http://www.torquetorque.net/products-page/product-category/torque-2-print-ed/>(2015).
> The book will be designed by Mark Simmonds.
> torquetorque.net <http://torquetorque.net>
>
> Do share the info if you think others will be interested.
>
> WTF?!
> The blockchain is best known as the technology which underlies
> 'Bitcoin', but our central assertion is that there is need for
> discourse, play and speculation by practitioners outside of
> financial-technology circles - particularly given the potential for
> democratic and cultural changes which have been proposed as part of
> blockchain's evolutions.
>
> If you don't know anything or not much about the potentials of the
> blockchain, this book aims to bring you up to speed on theory and
> mechanics of this new technology. If you do, its a platform to combine
> the inventiveness of creative culture with this emergent technology.
>
> It's a hugely resonant time to be undertaking this project, as the
> book and discussions will show.  Our current systems of governance,
> finance and civic mechanics appear to be crumbling under 'post-truth'
> politics, psychotic economics and media saturation.  Is the blockchain
> going to be our saviour?  Probably not. But art is a great way to
> understand and communicate the reach of new technologies - as well as
> bend and reroute them.

> [...]

Co-founder Co-director
Furtherfield

www.furtherfield.org

+44 (0) 77370 02879

Unicorn hunter

Bitcoin Address 197BBaXa6M9PtHhhNTQkuHh1pVJA8RrJ2i

Furtherfield is the UK's leading organisation for art shows, labs, &
debates
around critical questions in art and technology, since 1997

Furtherfield is a Not-for-Profit Company limited by Guarantee
registered in England and Wales under the Company No.7005205.
Registered business address: Ballard Newman, Apex House, Grand Arcade,
Tally Ho Corner, London N12 0EH.