[NetBehaviour] IP Theory and Practice for Art & Activism workshop June 10

Martin Zeilinger martin.j.zeilinger at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 12:06:13 CEST 2016

Hi everyone,

Together with Kaja Marczewska and Andy Farnell, I’m running an afternoon workshop/discussion next week that I thought might interest some of you. It's entitled IP Theory and Practice for Art & Activism workshop, will take place on June 10, and is as part of the Antiuniversity Now Festival.

Here is the pitch:

This workshop addresses itself to artists who wish to use their practice to engage critically with issues of copyright, patents, and trademarks.
Today, wide-ranging analog and digital technologies allow us to copy, share, recombine, and mash-up the world around us more easily and more effectively than ever before. Unsurprisingly, some of the most exciting forms of contemporary creative expression rely heavily on such practices. However, the legal regimes designed to regulate technologies of reproduction view many of our activities as theft, piracy, or other violations of intellectual property (IP) law.
Through open discussion, introduction of key concepts, and presentation of useful examples, we will explore the tensions between contemporary art-making and IP law. What do you need to know in order to resist the limitations IP law places on your ability to express yourself freely and creatively? Can your art practice assume an activist role in challenging restrictive IP policy? How can we mobilise tensions between creative expression and IP policy for activist purposes and critical debate?

Please circulate widely, and use our Eventbrite page for the (free) registration: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/intellectual-property-theory-and-practice-for-art-activism-tickets-24805151877 <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/intellectual-property-theory-and-practice-for-art-activism-tickets-24805151877>

Best,
Martin