[NetBehaviour] i am the descendent of heiner müller / Sisyphus of the Ear

Johannes Birringer Johannes.Birringer at brunel.ac.uk
Wed Oct 5 21:50:40 CEST 2016

hallo descendents and ancestors,

Alan's reverse reverberations are a continuing source of inspiration, thanks for sharing with us here on netbehavior.  Your images were very intriguing as you mix the surreal twisted avatars
with instruments and playing hands fragments. Your text is puzzling and wonderful.

 We talked (off list) about the oulipian "Machine" composition I stumbled across this summer (a radio play by Georges Perec that  resembles a machinic destructuring or disintegration of a short poem by Goethe (ancestor of Schopenhauer)..... and you knew the OULIPO gang and we exchanged some brief memos.

Now you evoke for me the familiar opening of "Hamletmachine" (by Heiner Müller), another poetrymachine.

[FAMILY ALBUM]
  I was Hamlet.
  I stood on the beach and spoke withe waves BLA BLA,
  behind me the ruins of Europe...

I would like hear more about the sound side; and whether your poetry is a part of a (specific) visual or sonic development (ongoing series? well i am sure in the longer picture all your music and writing and visual work of course is).
Your "orchestral" pieces fascinate me, the ones where i hear many overlapping instruments.

Today at our Music School we had a gust artist, Kathy Hinde, show a very very beautifiul array of works, audiovisual installations and what she calls installations-as-instruments.
Her talk was about her music and her visual work ("Merging the Visual and the Sonic").  Many here on this list work in this way, and i wonder whether
someone has come across Hinde's installations or whether the notion of migration (she is fond of birds and watches their flight patterns, and makes installations with them) of sound into
(out of)instruments and to-fro visual interaction or co-composition could find more discussion here.

One piece she showed was "Tipping Point" - an installation created using a delicate combination of glass, water, audio feedback and lighting; suspended lass vessels filled with water, dripping (?), are balanced by mechanics and bespoke computer software, which listens to microphone feedback produced by the acoustic qualities of the vessels themselves in the room.  [https://vimeo.com/113274669#at=0]    In her talk she referenced Alvin Lucier's " I'm sitting in a room," while I was more interested in watching audience tip toe or walking through the "instrument." her documentarys showed pristine installation but no people walking or pacing around, stumbling into the breath of water.

    This moving through the instrument interests me and is part of what I am working on, in my current percussion-film piece "Sisyphus of the Ear"  (not performed yet). The film is about an older man stumbling-climbing up a hill he hears rumbling in the left ear.

Kathy Hinde ended by referring to collaboration with (film) artist Solveig Settemsdal.  This new piece is currently performed on tour:
"Singularity" : a fluid form of sculptural drawing in the video work, done through suspending white ink in cubes of gelatin; the concept of an expanding point is echoed in Hinde’s musical composition. Sounds evolve out of silence into clustered layers, drawing attention to the microscopic detail of the expanding abstract forms.....

There's  a short intro video available, with sound and the beautiful visuals, then we hear the two women artists talk about the work:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21DsmZfmT5c

with regards to you all,

Johannes Birringer
dap-lab