[NetBehaviour] The artist is typing | online exhibition at Storage Un.it | September 1 - 30, 2016

Guy McMusker guy.mcmusker at lesliensinvisibles.org
Thu Sep 1 18:56:42 CEST 2016

Hi Randall,

thanks for all your answers.
I'm quite a lazy and slowly guy and I'm not sure to give you the right
answers but I'll try ;-)

For sure I can say that I wasn't interested in streaming the content of my
keypressing activity.
I know it could seem such an easy content but just want to give an ironical
view of my presence in the act of typing.
You can see it as a sort of performative minimal/intimistic self portrait.
Or you can even see it as an ironical representation of how computer based
art is made today: typing.
Or maybe as I wrote in the email I just want to suggest that art, as life,
is what happens while you are typing.

Anyway I'm not so good with words :-) and I think Filippo Lorenzin - who
curated the project for Arebyte - wrote some good considerations about the
work that you can read here: http://www.arebyte.com/storage-unit/4592523415

Thank you again for your interest!
All the best,

Guido

ᐧ

> John, excellent point. I think this piece brings up very interesting
> issues of authenticity, openness, disclosure, etc., in the act of the
> artist engaging the online viewer and performing via the network (or anyone
> for that matter). Guido, what are your thoughts on this? Or are you busy
> typing away right now… Perhaps you could use this listserv as an “open”
> networked feed for your project.
>

> On 9/1/16, 11:49 AM, "John Hopkins" <netbehaviour-bounces at netbehaviour.org
> on behalf of chazhop at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     On 01/Sep/16 08:57, Randall Packer wrote:
>     > But we can’t read what you are typing… so there is no content… is
> that the
>     > point? I don’t mean to criticize the project as I am quite
> interested in the
>     > idea of the open source broadcast of the artist at work, but the key
> thing is
>     > knowing what the artist is saying, thinking, feeling, not just the
> artist as
>     > an on/off switch.
>
>     Important points, Randall, my thots as well ... of course, if that's
> not what
>     Guido wanted to do ... the old form/content issue in some way, but it
> brings up
>     Roy Ascott's idea: "networking invites personal disclosure" ...
>
>     jh
>     --

Guy McMusker
Les Liens Invisibles