[NetBehaviour] technological sorcery | Technology is Not Neutral

Johannes Birringer Johannes.Birringer at brunel.ac.uk
Fri Sep 16 19:42:35 CEST 2016

dear all
oh, are the techno-sorcerers at it again in Linz?  the alchemists of our time?
thanks for sharing this review with us, I was not aware (of the writer) but glancing at the review i see the critique spelled out in the last
segment --

The lack of social awareness and engagement of issues surrounding our time have begun to impinge on the festival itself, and an awareness campaign called #kissmyars is voicing concerns over the lack of female representation at the festival, particularly in the prix art prize which is awarded to men 9/10 times. The gender diversity in technology sector should no longer be ignored; this is one example of a socio-political issue not only overlooked at the festival program but also exacerbated by the organisation itself. I hope that the #KissMyArs campaign will not only rebalance the gender inequality at the event but also encourage the organisers to address other alarming realisations that operate within and around the application of technology in the social, political and economic sphere...

Can I, in this connection, mention an exhibition that a curator friend, Gordana Novakovic,  drew my attention to:

Technology is Not Neutral
2 – 25 September 2016
Presented in partnership with Phoenix Brighton as part of Brighton Digital Festival 2016
The show highlights and investigates the work of a group of women artists in the field of digital arts, where women are often underrepresented. The title refers to a quote by Donna Haraway taken from her Cyborg Manifesto. It includes significant and newly commissioned work by pioneering and contemporary female digital artists, spanning a wide range of themes and approaches. The exhibition features work by Ghislaine Boddington, Susan Collins, Laura Dekker, Anna Dumitriu, Bhavani Esapathi, Julie Freeman, Kate Genevieve, Sue Gollifer, Luciana Haill, Nina Kov, and Gordana Novakovic.

I missed it as I have been on the continent, but shall catch up with it when the show comes to Watermans in London later this fall.

regards
Johannes Birringer

furtherfield [furtherfielder at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2016 4:58 PM

Subject: [NetBehaviour] The tireless enchantment of technological sorcery | Ars Electronica 2016 Review.

The tireless enchantment of technological sorcery | Ars Electronica 2016 Review.

By #KissMyArs - http://bit.ly/2ctU82g

A participant asks how Ars Electronica, one of the longest standing and biggest media arts festivals in the world, has found itself so far distanced from the political concerns surrounding technology?

"The alchemists of our time, or as I like to call them 'Dumb wizards', are continuing to design and exhibit technological achievements in self-fulfilling speculative words that have very little concern, consideration or critique with any relevant social issues of our time. Excluding the CyberArts exhibition (curated by Genoveva Rückert), which I thought was a top selection of some of the best media art works of the last years, Ars Electronica is predominantly occupied by interactive spectacles that neglect to examine the social & political impact of technology."