[NetBehaviour] MoneyLab#4 in London 20 January 2018

Tom Keene tom at theanthillsocial.co.uk
Wed Dec 13 16:45:04 CET 2017

Thanks for sending the Mark.
looks great & right up my street.
Tom

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017, at 03:17 PM, marc.garrett via NetBehaviour wrote:
> *MoneyLab: Art, Culture and Financial Activism*
>
> *Saturday 20 January 2018**
**10.00-18.00*

> *Somerset House*

> *London*

> *Full day £15.00/ £12.00 conc*

> *More info - *http://networkcultures.org/moneylab/events/moneylab-4> *Facebook - *_https://www.facebook.com/events/122385678449918/_ *
**Tickets - *_
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/moneylab-art-culture-and-financial-activism-tickets-38950373616_>

> A day-long programme of workshops, discussions and artistic
> experimentation exploring the relationship between financial
> technologies, artistic practice and contemporary culture. MoneyLab is
> a programme of critical research and artistic intervention that
> explores the connections between contemporary art, financial activism
> and digital culture.> Previously organised by the Amsterdam-based Institute of Network
> Cultures, this fourth edition of MoneyLab brings together
> researchers, artists, designers, and cultural entrepreneurs thinking
> *beyond money*.> Join panels, talks and workshops which inspect the borderlands between
> critical art-making, decentralised financial technologies, collective
> organisation, and civil disobedience.>

> *SCHEDULE*

> *10:00**
**INTRODUCTION** *With *Geert Lovink** *from Institute of Network
Cultures and* **Martin Zeilinger* from Anglia Ruskin University.>
> *10:30* *
**WORKSHOPS** ** **Offshore Investigation Vehicle with **_The
Demystification Committee_*> Half of the existing global wealth has been calculated to be located
> offshore, stacked in tax havens. But where is offshore? What does it
> mean to ‘go’ or ‘become’ offshore? Can we visit it? The
> Demystification Committee have infiltrated a number of tax havens and
> set up an international corporate structure to investigate offshore
> finance. At the head of this corporate structure is Empire Management
> Limited, a UK Private Limited Company that invites members of the
> public to become investors in their self-initiated offshore tax
> evasion scheme. Join in and explore the tactics Empire Management use
> to abuse its financial position offshore and find out about the murky
> world of offshore investment practices.>
> *Total Liquidity Now: Trading in the augmented landscape of
> **_Patternist_*> PATTERNIST is a location-based, augmented reality demo game for urban
> research, sci-fi visions, and alternative economies. It speculates on
> the appearance of an alien planet hovering above our own, whose
> augmented terrain becomes visible through the lens of a mobile and
> desktop game.>
> As part of this workshop participants are invited to develop the
> game’s trading mechanisms through role play and participatory
> exercises. Facilitating and experimenting with a multi-directional,
> barter-based trading system, the group will explore the alien
> geography of the PATTERNIST-3 planet. The workshop will close with a
> discussion on designing incentives in alternative economies,
> autonomous currencies, and market-based decision making.>
>
> *12:00*

> *DISCUSSION**
**
**Playing to Lose: Gameplay in Art and Finance*

> [...]

> Polsky*, and *The Demystification Committee*.**> *13:30*

> *BREAK*

> *14:15*
> *WORKSHOPS*

> *Earth’s Cooperative for Economic Fairness with **_FairCoop_*

> FairCoop will present the world’s first democratically organised and
> eco-friendly crypto-currency, FairCoin. The latest FairCoin uses a co-
> operative model for distributing crypto-currencies and aims to create
> a digital currency for a new global economic system. Workshop
> participants will learn about the development of FairCoin, from the
> technical elements to the political and social motivations of creating
> an energy saving and cooperative blockchain. Find out how to setup a
> FairCoop in your region and how you could join a decentralized network
> to reduce economic inequality and create a global wealth of abundance
> for the commons.>
> *Data Workers Union with **_Institute of Human Obsolescence_*[1]

> In order to shift the imbalance between citizens,surveillance
> capitalism, and the big data industry, it should be understand that we
> are not merely users of free online services, but the unpaid workers
> of tech companies.The Institute of Human Obsolescence (IoHO) advocates
> for recognising the production of data as a form of labour.Through
> gatherings, assemblies and collective actions the union aims to
> establish a collective political discourse in pursuit of our data
> labour rights. This workshop will explore some of the issues that
> arise from organising a labour union for digital users and demonstrate
> the possibilities for monetizing online activity.>
> *15:45*
> *DISCUSSION*

> *Art and Equity? Tokenizing Culture with the Blockchain*

> Artists are playing a central role in shaping our understanding of
> emerging blockchain technologies, and continue to propose exciting
> visions for how decentralized computation could challenge current
> social and political power structures. Already, there are a few
> experimental blockchain projects that question our core assumptions
> about ownership, authorship, reproducibility, and authenticity. This
> panel introduces artistic perspectives on distributed ledger
> technologies, and brings them into critical dialogue with the emerging
> blockchain economies. From platform distribution models and new types
> of digital art markets to hyper-real click-mine farms and self-owning
> artworks, what can we learn about emerging blockchain technologies
> from critical artistic practice?>
> Chaired by artist and curator_ _*Ruth Catlow, *with panellists
> including* *art advisor and art historian* Jérôme Croisier,
> *researcher and curator* Rachel O'Dwyer *and artist/software engineer*
> Sarah Friend.*>
> *17:15*

> *DISCUSSION ***

> *2nd MoneyLab Reader Book Launch with **_The Institute of Network
*Concluding the day, this session introduced by *Inte* *Gloerich
*platforms contributors to this latest publication from the Institute
of Network Cultures in Amsterdam and features a collection of essays
from artists, academics and activists critically exploring art, finance
and technology. This second edition expands on a global network
committed to exploring the political and social territories created
since the financial crash was inscribed onto the first bitcoin block in
2009. Essays range from the financialization of art, love as a binary
proposition on the blockchain, the cashless society, the history of
your financial dashboard, and the digital financial surveillance of the
poor. Join us to celebrate the launch of the book and listen to a
handful of readings from some of the many contributors including *Geert
Lovink, *artist/writer/educator* **Emily Rosamond** *and* *researcher*
Nathaniel Tkacz.*>
> In addition to all the above, there will be works by some of the
> artist participants on show throughout the day.> For more information and details from previous events please visit _
> http://networkcultures.org/moneylab/_>
>

> Marc Garrett
>
> Co-Founder, Co-Director and main editor of Furtherfield.
> Art, technology and social change, since 1996
> http://www.furtherfield.org
>
> Furtherfield Gallery & Commons in the park
> Finsbury Park, London N4 2NQ
> http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery
> Currently writing a PhD at Birkbeck University, London
> https://birkbeck.academia.edu/MarcGarrett
> Just published: Artists Re:thinking the Blockchain
> Eds, Ruth Catlow, Marc Garrett, Nathan Jones, & Sam Skinner
> Liverpool Press - http://bit.ly/2x8XlMK
>
> Sent with ProtonMail[3] Secure Email.

Links:

  1. http://speculative.capital/