[NetBehaviour] Dragon and Phoenix in quietude

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Sat Feb 11 06:40:15 CET 2017

Dragon and Phoenix in quietude

http://www.alansondheim.org/DandP5.jpg
http://www.alansondheim.org/DandP1.jpg
http://www.alansondheim.org/DandP2.jpg
http://www.alansondheim.org/DandP3.jpg
http://www.alansondheim.org/DandP4.jpg

Dragon Pool, Phoenix Pond

There are two sound-holes on the back of a qin. The larger is
known as long chi or dragon pond. The smaller is called feng
zhao or phoenix lake.

Stephen Dydo and I are releasing Dragon and Phoenix on ESP-Disk
in the near future. We have a number of images for the cd cover.
I wanted to take some pictures of the sound-holes of my qin,
which is probably two-hundred or more years old. It has been
through terrible conditions over the years, but Stephen restored
it and it sounds wonderful. So I photographed the sound-holes,
including the odd inserts (one of which, in the Phoenix Lake or
Pond, has a crack). They were difficult to photograph; I love
the result however, which for me relates to the tone of the
wood, dry with an odd resonance, quiet and responsive. Here are
the images, and they are the 'idea' of this piece, the soul of
the wood and lacquer for me. You can hear the sound through the
image; you can hear the sound on some of our cds. The new one
is recorded otherwise, with Stephen's beautiful instruments.