[NetBehaviour] inter - intra - action

ruth catlow ruth.catlow at furtherfield.org
Tue Feb 14 09:39:52 CET 2017

Hi Annie,

I appreciate both this and your previous post on Agency Art
<https://aabrahams.wordpress.com/2017/01/26/agency-art/>very much. I
have yet to properly read the two articles you shared. You asked in your
previous email, why Agency Art had not gained more traction. At first
scan I think that the practices of Agency Art are full of riches but the
name has unfortunate connotations in relation to commercial culture - if
you search the term online it returns pages of links to advertising
agencies.

I especially appreciate how Barad's intra-action offers a new way to
think about how new groups and exclusions are established and reveals
how difference get made and unmade. It also suggests to me that we can
take the effect on viewers/audiences as part of the materials of the
work (in this way it moves on the thinking suggested by 'Agency Art'
which separates the artistic intention from the effect).

Also very timely,

I will spend more time with this stuff Annie.

Thank you

Ruth

On 13/02/17 09:55, Annie Abrahams wrote:
> Hi netbehaviourists,
>
> /Interaction was the word I used 20 years ago when I talked about my
> work in hypertext. Today I need other words: one word, I already wrote
> about it in my last post, is *Agency Art*. Another might be
> *Intra-action*. This word could be usefull to analyze my works of
> collaborative performance art, where it is not really clear what is
> causing what, where the agency is – not between clearly distinguisable
> entities, but coming from within a whole, where server conditions,
> individual computers, webcam and sound devices, as well as the voices
> and images of the co-performers, local light conditions and family
> situations are all entangled in what Barad would call the phenomenon./
> From https://aabrahams.wordpress.com/2017/02/06/inter-intra-action-eng/
>
> I am not done with these yet. Somewhere soon hopefully something more
> concrete on Agency Art and maybe Bohrian Apparatusses.
>
> **
> All the best
> Annie*
> *
>
> --
>
> /I like the concept of *Agency Art* because it doesn’t take any
> technology or medium as it’s starting point, but puts what these make
> possible in the foreground./*
> *https://aabrahams.wordpress.com/2017/01/26/agency-art/
>
> J’aime beaucoup la notion d'*Agency Art*, parce que elle ne prend pas
> un medium, ou une technologie comme point de départ, mais met en avant
> ce que celles-ci rendent possible.
> https://aabrahams.wordpress.com/2017/02/07/inter-intra-action-fr/
> <https://aabrahams.wordpress.com/2017/02/07/inter-intra-action-fr/>

Co-founder Co-director
Furtherfield

www.furtherfield.org

+44 (0) 77370 02879

Bitcoin Address 197BBaXa6M9PtHhhNTQkuHh1pVJA8RrJ2i

Furtherfield is the UK's leading organisation for art shows, labs, &
debates
around critical questions in art and technology, since 1997

Furtherfield is a Not-for-Profit Company limited by Guarantee
registered in England and Wales under the Company No.7005205.
Registered business address: Ballard Newman, Apex House, Grand Arcade,
Tally Ho Corner, London N12 0EH.