[NetBehaviour] Bursaries availabile to attend : CfP: Mobile Utopia: Pasts, Presents, Futures T2MC2C - 2-5 November 2017

ruth catlow ruth.catlow at furtherfield.org
Wed Feb 15 12:08:55 CET 2017

Another good'n

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	CfP: Mobile Utopia: Pasts, Presents, Futures T2MC2C - 2-5
November 2017
Date: 	Fri, 10 Feb 2017 10:54:33 +0000
From: 	Southern, Jen <j.a.southern at lancaster.ac.uk>
To: 	Southern, Jen <j.a.southern at lancaster.ac.uk>
CC: 	Rose, Emma <e.rose at lancaster.ac.uk>, O'Keeffe, Linda
<l.okeeffe at lancaster.ac.uk>

* Please forward to your networks *

*

*Call for artists: *Exhibition opportunity at International Mobilities
conference: *Mobile Utopia: Pasts, Presents, Futures.*

The Mobile Utopia conference at Lancaster University (November 2017)
will include an exhibition of artworks and a catalogue, offering the
opportunity to explore and promote artists contribution to the field.
  Further details of the conference themes are in the call below. A
limited number of bursaries are available for exhibiting artists to
attend the conference if not in full time acacemic posts.

Mobilities research takes place across multiple disciplines and uses
movement as a methodological, critical and theoretical lens to ask how
people, things, materials, data, media and communications are mobile and
immobile. In parallel a ‘mobilities turn’ can be identified in art
practices that include (but are not exclusive to): walking, cycling,
driving, shipping, flight, human and animal migrations, global networks,
flows of information, social media, biological contagion, tracking, mail
art, virtual worlds, locative media, travel, kinetics, robotics and
mobile devices.

We welcome abstracts from artists working with mobility or movement in
any media.

We look forward to hearing from you,

Exhibition organisers,

Jen Southern, Emma Rose, Linda O’Keeffe

Please contact j.a.southern at lancaster.ac.uk at Cemore
<http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/cemore/> with questions related to the
exhibition.

*Call for Participation*

*Mobile Utopia: Pasts, Presents Futures*

Cemore|T2M|Cosmobilities Conference  - 2-5 November 2017, Centre for
Mobilities Research, Lancaster University

Recognising the global uncertainties of the Anthropocene, we invite
reflections on utopia (and dystopia) that explore how societies shape,
and have been shaped by, complex im*|*mobilities, from microbial to big
data mobilities, from horse-drawn carriages to driverless cars, from
migration to planetary jet streams.

This joint Cemore|T2M|Cosmobilities conference will bring together
historians, researchers, artists, policy-makers, designers, and
innovators to explore *Mobile Utopia: Pasts, Presents, Futures*. The
Centre for Mobilities Research
<http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/fass/wp/cemore/> (CeMoRe) at Lancaster
University, the International Association for the History of Transport,
Traffic and Mobility <http://t2m.org/> (T2M) and the Cosmobilities
Network <http://www.cosmobilities.net/> have joined together to invite
contributions across the spectrum of mobile utopian themes.

We invite proposals deploying utopia as a heuristic and creative
methodology – rather than as a narrative closed system – which
challenges our assumptions about what has been possible in the past and
what will be possible and preferable in the future. We welcome
reflections from any city, country or place, in relation to any theme,
scale, or period in history. In addition, proposals may address any
aspect of the history, and social, cultural, economic, technological,
ecological and political aspects of the diverse dimensions of
im|mobility. Proposals are encouraged to use a range of formats,
academic, creative and otherwise, as outlined in the call for papers
<http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/t2mc2c/call-for-papers/>.

We welcome contributions from any academic perspective or discipline, as
well as contributions by artists, professionals, policy makers and
practitioners. Recent entrants to the research field and doctoral
students are especially welcome, with reduced rates and travel bursaries
available in some cases.

We look forward to welcoming you in Lancaster.

*The Programme Committee*

Chairs: Monika Büscher, Carlos López Galviz

Malene Freudendal-Pedersen

Pennie Drinkall
Julia Hildebrand
Sven Kesselring
Mimi Sheller
Jen Southern

Best wishes,

Monika

Monika Büscher, Professor of Sociology

Director Centre for Mobilities Research

Associate Director for the Institute for Social Futures

Department of Sociology, Lancaster University, LA1 4YW

Office Hours: By Arrangement - Bowland North B14

  <http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/sociology/>
<http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/fass/wp/cemore/>
<http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/social-futures/>

Research Portal: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk <http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/>