[NetBehaviour] Playdamage Without Flash

Michael Szpakowski m at michaelszpakowski.org
Tue Jul 11 15:31:15 CEST 2017

This looks interesting Curt & I look forward to exploring it. I've loved the whole series as long as I've known it
You touch on something that affects many of us. A good deal of the stuff I've made over the years simply doesn't work now.
The tech is broken/ abandoned because the web has been straitjacketed into a mechanism for the controlled extraction of money &/ promulgation of advertising and beauty is not a consideration.Just the other day I was thinking about Director and how much I loved it and how much you can do with it and how odd it is that it is now completely marginal even though I'm not aware of a successor that gets even close to what it could do...
Could you say a tiny bit about the howl .js trick? A lot of my stuff used looped embedded audio and gradually the alternatives for doing in this in a browser have been gradually closed down ( I used .dcr then I used QT...then I looked away and started painting and returned to a world that seems in many ways unrecognisable)thanks for sharing thisbest wishesMichael

      From: Curt Cloninger <curt at lab404.com>
 To: netbehaviour at netbehaviour.org 
 Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 12:35 PM
 Subject: [NetBehaviour] Playdamage Without Flash
Hi all,

I took some time to revamp http://playdamage.org and got rid of all the Flash elements.

I was mostly using Flash for audio, because it loops audio seamlessly, and that is an important aspect of the site.

Now I am using a howl .js trick because regular embedded html5 audio still leaves a non-seamless gap in the loop.

Even with the howl .js trick, Safari still leaves a bit of a gap, but anyone using Safari is probably used to dealing with all sorts of problems in their life anyway.

It won’t play any of the audio on a phone, because that’s the way phone browsers work. But it will play all of the visuals on a phone.

All of the audio wound up changing a bit in translation. Some audio got higher res and some got lower res. Going backwards toward the early pages of the site, at that time (early 2000s) I wasn’t saving my source audio files, so for this de-flashification process of those pages, I wound up having to extract the already heavily compressed mp3s files from swf embeds and then recompress them as ogg and mp3s files, which actually made them sound cooler (to me).


I translated Flash visuals to other non-flash visual solutions on the following pages:
And in every case, the new visuals look better than the old flash visuals (but they are not as thin).

I shortened the audio loop on:
(It used to be the whole song, but that was just too much skynyrd.)
And I lengthened the audio loop on:
(because who can’t get enough of hipster harp music?)

Here are some HIDDEN PAGES I skipped over but left in their original format and location because they didn’t really translate:
http://playdamage.org/40.html (a .dcr page, no less!)
(those last two pages are part of this larger project here: 
http://www.playdamage.org/grace/ )

I doubled the text on these two pages, because monitors are larger than they used to be:

And I made this code stranger:


Hobbyists must be their own archivists, until you reach the critical point where your archive is so large that you spend all your time maintaining it and no time adding to it. But evidently I’m not there yet.

NetBehaviour mailing list
NetBehaviour at netbehaviour.org

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.netbehaviour.org/pipermail/netbehaviour/attachments/20170711/d1b1516b/attachment.htm>

More information about the NetBehaviour mailing list